64bit or 32bit CPU???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
basically i'm out to get a new computer and have read a bit on 64-bit CPU's but still have a few questions...

how can u tell if a program or game is optimized for 64-bit CPU's?

can all the 32bit programs and games run on the 64 bit platform and take advantage of the increased amount of RAM?

do i need a 64bit version of winXP?

do graphics cards and ram need to be 64bit compatible?

i want to get a quad core, does it have to be quad core 64 bit? (i'm going to guess a bit yes on this one)

i'm a bit clueless on the 64bit computing front :( so would appreciate any good links a simple explanation but i also build my own computers so am not totally useless :)

thanks in advance

You wont be able to find a 32 bit CPU worth buying. 64 bit issues will only arise if you use a 64 bit OS, which you dont have to do even if you have more than 4GB it doesnt really matter. I have a 32bit OS and 4GB and everything works fine. Im going to slowly transtion to 64bit XP though

originally i was hoping to get a 64 bit system and wack 16gigs of ram in it but a few have said it will not matter that much :(

It wouldnt, soon as you hit 8GB its pretty much impossible to fill it all up. It would just be a fat waste of money.

When you upgrade your computer chances are it will be able to deal with 64 Bit instructions.

My system isn't new but my CPU and motherboard will deal with 64 Bit instruction sets. You just have to pick the right parts. Mainly the right CPU & Motherboard.

So unless you stick with your current 32 Bit set up you will be able to run 64 bit programs on your new set up.

you cant run 64bit applications unless you have
A)hardware to run 64bit instructions
B)an operating system that supports 64bit instructions , so for instance windows xp 64bit edition

You wont be able to find a 32 bit CPU worth buying. 64 bit issues will only arise if you use a 64 bit OS, which you dont have to do even if you have more than 4GB it doesnt really matter. I have a 32bit OS and 4GB and everything works fine. Im going to slowly transtion to 64bit XP though
WTF?

Is this thread old or are you really back?

Back
Top Bottom