64 downfalls?

serani

In Runtime
So on my new rig that I'm building in a few months, I'm wondering whether or not to go with vista 64, I'd like to use 4 gbs memory in which I'd use 64 bit architecture, but are there any major downfalls to 64 so far? How about for gamers?

Thanks

i'm not sure why 64 bit hasn't become more mainstream, but i think there's just less software written so far that takes advantage of it. some people seem to be running it just fine, but just make sure all the software you normally run will work on it. i am running 32 bit vista and will have to see next time around if i go to 64 or not,,i would probably just stick with 32 bit for now if i were you, but maybe some people using 64 bit will comment also.

Software support is the primary answer to that. Not enough. Companies are still too focused on 32-bit development which has 1,000,000% compatibility whereas the number for 64-bit support is less. Most basic software we use do have drivers for 64-bit Windows so that is the good news. A lot more now than ever before. It's definitely progressing. We clearly have the hardware, but haven't taken advantage of the true potential of these babies yet.

Alright, well I knew the support was an issue,

i guess ill stick it out and use 32 bit

if i were getting a quad core system, would 4 gbs not be used at all?

would it recognize 3?

Or how does that work? Also if I end up getting 4 gb, I've been told that it is actually slower than 2 gbs due to timings (on 32 bit)

thanks !~

edit**

lets say i went with 4 gbs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227252

cause its 4x1 gbs for 150$...

its a quad channel package, if i arrage it to only use two sticks and i save two for 64 bit...or 3 sticks...does that screw things up being a 'quad' channel pachage

Check out all the drivers and software for your system, and see if they have 64 bit versions. If not, then stick with 32 bit.

The only difference RAM wise is that it should recognize the full 4 GB, where 32 bit would only recognize about 3. I would get the 4 GB, then eventually if you have the software support for 64 bit, upgrade.

if u ever plan 4g of ram get 64bit
running it very well
also new games such as crysis can take advantage of it

vista comes in 32 bit, im running in on my mobile

64 just has some advantages

i really wanted it for 4+ gbs RAM

o well

Back
Top Bottom