$600 Dollar Budget PC

FatMan1

Baseband Member
I'm planning to build my computer just for listening to music, web surfing, watching dvds, and burning music/dvds.

Just need an average video card.

So this is what I made up so far.

MSI PM8M-V Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $48.00
Intel Pentium 4 2.4A 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor - $120.00
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM - $81.00
SAPPHIRE Radeon 9600 ATLANTIS RADEON 256 mb- $68.00
Diamond XtremeSound XS71 Sound Card - $29.00
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM - $27.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $63.00

Now I just need a case. But I have no idea what a good case is. I'd like it to have some fans and a built in power supply if it is possible.

This is my first time building a computer so I'm not going all out. I'm thinking this as a training project.

Thanks guys.

You have a nice looking system- when it's done :D
Most caseses come with a power supply. The problem is, they usually come with a cheap power supply. You may want to upgrade the power supply in the case to at least 500W or maybe even 650W, depending on if you ever plan to upgrade. For a case, you can find plenty of cool ones out there, but I would look for something with at least 1 90mm fan in the front (if not two), a 80mm fan on the side, and a least an area to place two 80mm fans on the back. You need to keep your system very cool- and P4- runs HOT :eek: Personally, I would go with AMD- better price, better performance, and you can't ask for much more out of a processor ;)

pctechmike said:
You have a nice looking system- when it's done :D
Most caseses come with a power supply. The problem is, they usually come with a cheap power supply. You may want to upgrade the power supply in the case to at least 500W or maybe even 650W, depending on if you ever plan to upgrade. For a case, you can find plenty of cool ones out there, but I would look for something with at least 1 90mm fan in the front (if not two), a 80mm fan on the side, and a least an area to place two 80mm fans on the back. You need to keep your system very cool- and P4- runs HOT :eek: Personally, I would go with AMD- better price, better performance, and you can't ask for much more out of a processor ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

About AMD, yeah I do think they are better but I can't find any really good amd motherboards for under 100 dollars. They have have the PCI express slots but all I really need is a 4x/8x agp slot. But I do think that most of them capable of running 4 gig of RAM is hella good.

If you know any motherboards that are good for this system go ahead and post them. I like all the other parts just maybe change the processor and the mobo.

Thanks.

theres a few cheap amd mboards on newegg. jus look at the motherboard section, pick amd boards, then use the search tool and look through the socket939 motherboards.

Question: Should customer reviews really influence you on what to buy? I know that it's technology so there's always a chance it's good or bad. So is it OK to buy something that maybe has 3 stars but has all the specs you want or need?

Thanks.

Customer reviews can be helpful, but remember that they are also based on user opinions. One person may not like the product and give it a lower rating than others who love it (high ratings). But what about the technology behind it? I would read the positive reviews and see how they rate the actual item. But for me, yes reviews help me to buy my parts if I need it.

Get an AMD A8N5X motherboard! About 100 dollars with shipping. I love mine (and I don't exactly have a budget system, either) and I'm running a big overclock on it too. I highly recommend it! No snags whatsoever while building and the manual is very user friendly and understandable. Installation was great except that I forgot the I/O plate has to go in before the motherboard, so I had to take it out! :D But that was my error.

OK, buy the Asrock Uli Sata-2 Mobo, Its amazing, It has Full AGP 4X/8X and Pci-Express, plus a flexible upgrade so you can upgreade to a AMD AM2 CPU.

3200+ AMD 2.0Ghz 4160.00
ASrock Uli Sata-2 $70.00
Cosair 1gb DDR-400 $83.00
What ever GPU you want but I would go with the
Albratron 6600LEQ - $83.00 - $10.00 Mail in rebate
Case go for anything like in the $40 range, its cheap and good.
Nec DVD-RW $40.00
sound Card: the one on the mobo is fine.

Total;
$160.00 CPU
$ 70.00 Mobo
$ 83.00 GPU
$ 83.00 Ram
$ 40.00 Case
$ 40 DVD-RW

$476 + $40 Shipping =

$516.00

Back
Top Bottom