02transam

Solid State Member
My brother has a 4 year old gateway
1.8 P4
768 Rambous ram
5700 ultra 128 mb graphics card
40 GB WD primary
300GB WD secondary

He is wondering why he scores only 8200 on the 2001 3dmark benchmark on futuremark.com!

Is it that his graphic card needs to be updated or that his computer just needs to be updated and the graphics card is fine.

Would he score a lot better if he got a ATI 800 pro

umm that pc is old and the 5700 ultra is not that good. if he can afford an x800pro upgrade some other stuff instead. does he play games? if not then it doesnt matter at all. i suggest u upgrade the rest of ur pc too, if u can afford a x800pro.

The 5700 Ultra although old is still a pretty capable card. I would say that the other components like the CPU and RAM are bottlenecking it.

is 8200 a low score if so what is a high score.
i have this fururemark benching software somewhere ill have to try it out

no not yet but i will woudnt expect to much from 7200 but i will test but its due to come out for a 9600 pro so it will be interesting to veiw both scores. ill give it ago as soon as i can. im at work now on laptop. ATI 9200 but i dont have 3dmark here. are you all just using the free software from futuremark. or the full test.i have used full test once to check my cpu performance so ill load it up again

im uing the free one. i dont think a 9600 is going to get that high. my 6600gt stock was like 7554 or something like that.

02transam said:
My brother has a 4 year old gateway
1.8 P4
768 Rambous ram
5700 ultra 128 mb graphics card
40 GB WD primary
300GB WD secondary

He is wondering why he scores only 8200 on the 2001 3dmark benchmark on futuremark.com!

Is it that his graphic card needs to be updated or that his computer just needs to be updated and the graphics card is fine.

Would he score a lot better if he got a ATI 800 pro

Well, actually here is the real dilemmia. First off, that P4 is VERY OLD, and is not good for gaming. Secondly, if you are running any background programs, the RAMBUS RAM will not excel at the 3DMARK01 since the total accumulative latency will be split on several threads of various programs. Now, RAMBUS RAM excels at gaming provided u have only that game open, AND NOTHING ELSE! :D

Back
Top Bottom