4GB - enough, but for how long?

I would actually go Quad-Core. There's no reason not to now-a-days. My mobo supports both Dual and Quad-Core. In any case, with Windows 7 coming out in either 2009 or 2010, you'll need the extra juice. I would go to atleast an 8GB capacity.

i plan to buy a new MB-CPU-DDR these days, and i have a dilemma:

1.) to buy a cheaper motherboard (which would allow me to buy an C2D E8400) which has one downside - it supports only 4GB DDR2, or
2.) to buy a little better motherboard which supports 8GB DDR2, but then i'd have to buy C2D E8200 instead od E8400.

right now, i'd buy 2GB, and after a few months 2 more. but what about future, for how long you think will 4GB of DDR be enough?
what do you think i should choose?

windows XP doesn't take advantage of over 4GB (it has trouble using even 4 sometimes)
but my vista ultimate 64bit seems to love it and use all of it to it's advantage (I timed the startup at 15 seconds! well, it did cost me $6,000...)

There is XP 64-bit out there...

yeah, but it completely sucks
its like the worst OS.

i would just go with 2GB of high quality ram. Theres really no point of having 4GB for now. Maybe by the end of next year is when i am assuming. I never noticed a difference in performance between 2GB of ram and 3GB of ram.

I think a quad core is better for video encoding, i dont know if you have to OC or not though, and costs about $20 more than the E8400 according to newegg.

I wouldnt go with a low end board, its not worth it, and it might give out faster, and end up paying more than an good quality board.

If it was me, i would have a lower CPU and a better/recent board, and with a decent board, you can slightly OC the E8200 to 3.0 Ghz, and it will be like having an E8400.

If you go 64-bit, I would get Vista. I don't think support for XP-64 is that great, but don't quote me on that.

well, i do some video editing, but that's pretty amateur stuff. what i mostly do is image editing, gaming and a lot of video converting. when i asked about ram, i was thinking mostly of gaming, do you think that 4GB will be enough in next 2-3 years?

and another question, which of these mainboards would be good for C2D E8200 or E8400:

MB MSI 945GCM5-F Sck. 775, mATX 123,49 KM
MB GIGABYTE P35-DS3L iP35 Sck.LGA775 147,00 KM
MB EVGA NF 610i/ GF 7050 Sck.775 150,50 KM
MB MSI G31M-F Sck. 775 mATX CORE2DUO 123,49 KM
MB GIGABYTE G31M-S2L G31+CH7, Sck.775 105,00 KM
MB GIGABYTE P35-S3G 1.0 Sck.LGA775 145,50 KM
MB ASUS P5K SE/EPU Sck.775 162,00 KM
MB GIGABYTE EP43-S3L Sck.775 167,01 KM
MB GIGABYTE EP35-DS3L Skc.775 164,50 KM

I deleted all the Abit boards from you list because if something goes wrong you may have problems with service you may need because of this...

Abit getting out of the motherboard business

support may be an issue, I would stay clear of Abit boards...

also, the one I highlighted is the board I have, it's a good cheap motherboard (cheap in price, not quality)...

yeah, but it completely sucks
its like the worst OS.

i would just go with 2GB of high quality ram. Theres really no point of having 4GB for now. Maybe by the end of next year is when i am assuming. I never noticed a difference in performance between 2GB of ram and 3GB of ram.

I think a quad core is better for video encoding, i dont know if you have to OC or not though, and costs about $20 more than the E8400 according to newegg.

I wouldnt go with a low end board, its not worth it, and it might give out faster, and end up paying more than an good quality board.

If it was me, i would have a lower CPU and a better/recent board, and with a decent board, you can slightly OC the E8200 to 3.0 Ghz, and it will be like having an E8400.

Could this Gigabyte's board that wol-va-rine suggested be decent? And about that slight OC you mentioned, could it be done with the stock cooling?
Oh, and one more thing, you said it's better to get 2GB of "high-quality" RAM, could OCZ be considered as "high-quality"?

anyone?
please confirm that this MB GIGABYTE P35-S3G 1.0 Sck.LGA775 is the right board to choose for C2DE8400/4GB DDR2/9800GT. wol-va-rine suggested me this board, and i see he is an experienced member, but i'd need few more opinions for a definite decision.

EDIT:
a new dilemma. it seems neverending...
now i got a suggestion to get E7200 instead of E8400 and an MB LGA775 iP35,DFI Infinity Blood Iron P35-T2L PCI-e/DualDDR2/FS. people say i could clock it good with this board, and with let's say 4GB of DDR2 and an ATi4850, that i could be settled for next two years.
what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom