Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Default 4890 cooler?

By the way, admin please change my name to Tom Morello (I accidentally added an l)

I'm getting a 4890 in a while, does the stock cooling do any worse than a high-end zalman cooler? Or should I get a nice one so I can turn it down without 3rd party software when it's idling? By the way, don't tell me to go NVIDIA, my case IS NOT big enough for their cards, I am not a fanboy, I just don't like paying $300 for a card where I have to cut a hole in my hard drive bay...

By the way, wouldn't a cooler designed to fit 4870s work on a 90? The screw holes are like in the same place.
__________________

Tom Morelllo is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

Well first off let me just tell ya that the GTX 260 isn't much bigger if at all then the 4890 so if you can fit the 4890 you can fit the GTX 260 especially since the 4890's power cables hook in the back of the card(by the HDD cages) and the GTX260 uses the side of the card. I Think the 4890 is about 9.5" long and the GTX260 is about 10" so if you factor in the power cords they are about the same size.

But either way the stock cooler will be plenty enough for cooling as long as your not overclocking and actually if you boost the fan it will still stay cool with the stock cooler. ATI's drivers include a program called Catalyst Control Center which allows you to overclock your GPU and also includes a fan controller. The stock cooler will not keep it as cool as a high end cooler but it will definitely keep it cool enough that its not going to either be damaged or heat up all of your other components much if you boost the fan speed
__________________

__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
Techmaster05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 855
Send a message via AIM to Techmaster05 Send a message via MSN to Techmaster05 Send a message via Yahoo to Techmaster05
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

i think the 260 is 10.5 inches long and the 4890 9.5 inches long
Techmaster05 is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDegenerate View Post
Well first off let me just tell ya that the GTX 260 isn't much bigger if at all then the 4890 so if you can fit the 4890 you can fit the GTX 260 especially since the 4890's power cables hook in the back of the card(by the HDD cages) and the GTX260 uses the side of the card. I Think the 4890 is about 9.5" long and the GTX260 is about 10" so if you factor in the power cords they are about the same size.

But either way the stock cooler will be plenty enough for cooling as long as your not overclocking and actually if you boost the fan it will still stay cool with the stock cooler. ATI's drivers include a program called Catalyst Control Center which allows you to overclock your GPU and also includes a fan controller. The stock cooler will not keep it as cool as a high end cooler but it will definitely keep it cool enough that its not going to either be damaged or heat up all of your other components much if you boost the fan speed
Yeah, but the 4890 beats the 260 in most games. It's a matter of 275 vs. 4890 now, people go for the 4890 because MSI has gotten some of their core clocks to 1.05GHz. I will be overclocking to the max by the way. Would this aid in doing that?
I was thinking like (if you suggest that I do this) try the stock cooler at max overclocks and see where it takes me, and if it artifacts after a little gaming, try the zalman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmaster05 View Post
i think the 260 is 10.5 inches long and the 4890 9.5 inches long
Thanks. That helped.


So about the 70 coolers fitting the 90s ?
Tom Morelllo is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

So wait you are only worried about the noise of the fan during idle? because even OC'd you wont have to have the fan maxed in order to keep the temps down. If you push the fan to 100% during gaming it will be a little loud but who plays games with no sound so that usually drowns it totally out. But I think that the 4870 coolers will fit the 4890 but let me look around and see just to make sure.

That Zalman VF1000 will work fine with that 4890 if you are not happy with the temps you get from the stock cooler..
__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDegenerate View Post
So wait you are only worried about the noise of the fan during idle? because even OC'd you wont have to have the fan maxed in order to keep the temps down. If you push the fan to 100% during gaming it will be a little loud but who plays games with no sound so that usually drowns it totally out. But I think that the 4870 coolers will fit the 4890 but let me look around and see just to make sure
OK thanks for checking, I just want it to be silent at idle, which I think it would be because it says 18DB @ 1,400RPM which would be more than enough with the new drivers that underclock it pretty far while it's idling on the XFX ones. and 28DB would be inaudible if you were playing a game that required it at 100%. I mostly play non-biased games, except far cry 2 which is totally biased towards Nvidia
Tom Morelllo is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

AMD improved the stock cooler on the HD 4890 compared to the one fitted to the HD 4870. Although it looks the same, it's not the same under the hood and the 4890 stays a fair bit cooler. It won't be silent if you want to overclock it, but it won't be uncomfortably loud at all.

Yes, a cooler that works on an HD 4870 will work on an HD 4890.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
Although it looks the same, it's the same under the hood


Anyway, I heard ATIs just eat up AA compared to NV
Tom Morelllo is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

I think he meant its not the same under the hood.

or maybe it looks the same but has been improved to work a little better.

from what I have read that cooler on the 4890 does a great job cooling but isn't totally silent like you want.
__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: 4890 cooler?

Whoops.
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0