4890 cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfh4x

Banned
By the way, admin please change my name to Tom Morello (I accidentally added an l)

I'm getting a 4890 in a while, does the stock cooling do any worse than a high-end zalman cooler? Or should I get a nice one so I can turn it down without 3rd party software when it's idling? By the way, don't tell me to go NVIDIA, my case IS NOT big enough for their cards, I am not a fanboy, I just don't like paying $300 for a card where I have to cut a hole in my hard drive bay...

By the way, wouldn't a cooler designed to fit 4870s work on a 90? The screw holes are like in the same place.

Well first off let me just tell ya that the GTX 260 isn't much bigger if at all then the 4890 so if you can fit the 4890 you can fit the GTX 260 especially since the 4890's power cables hook in the back of the card(by the HDD cages) and the GTX260 uses the side of the card. I Think the 4890 is about 9.5" long and the GTX260 is about 10" so if you factor in the power cords they are about the same size.

But either way the stock cooler will be plenty enough for cooling as long as your not overclocking and actually if you boost the fan it will still stay cool with the stock cooler. ATI's drivers include a program called Catalyst Control Center which allows you to overclock your GPU and also includes a fan controller. The stock cooler will not keep it as cool as a high end cooler but it will definitely keep it cool enough that its not going to either be damaged or heat up all of your other components much if you boost the fan speed

Well first off let me just tell ya that the GTX 260 isn't much bigger if at all then the 4890 so if you can fit the 4890 you can fit the GTX 260 especially since the 4890's power cables hook in the back of the card(by the HDD cages) and the GTX260 uses the side of the card. I Think the 4890 is about 9.5" long and the GTX260 is about 10" so if you factor in the power cords they are about the same size.

But either way the stock cooler will be plenty enough for cooling as long as your not overclocking and actually if you boost the fan it will still stay cool with the stock cooler. ATI's drivers include a program called Catalyst Control Center which allows you to overclock your GPU and also includes a fan controller. The stock cooler will not keep it as cool as a high end cooler but it will definitely keep it cool enough that its not going to either be damaged or heat up all of your other components much if you boost the fan speed
Yeah, but the 4890 beats the 260 in most games. It's a matter of 275 vs. 4890 now, people go for the 4890 because MSI has gotten some of their core clocks to 1.05GHz. I will be overclocking to the max by the way. Would this aid in doing that?
I was thinking like (if you suggest that I do this) try the stock cooler at max overclocks and see where it takes me, and if it artifacts after a little gaming, try the zalman.

i think the 260 is 10.5 inches long and the 4890 9.5 inches long

Thanks. That helped.

So about the 70 coolers fitting the 90s ?

So wait you are only worried about the noise of the fan during idle? because even OC'd you wont have to have the fan maxed in order to keep the temps down. If you push the fan to 100% during gaming it will be a little loud but who plays games with no sound so that usually drowns it totally out. But I think that the 4870 coolers will fit the 4890 but let me look around and see just to make sure.

That Zalman VF1000 will work fine with that 4890 if you are not happy with the temps you get from the stock cooler..:D:D

So wait you are only worried about the noise of the fan during idle? because even OC'd you wont have to have the fan maxed in order to keep the temps down. If you push the fan to 100% during gaming it will be a little loud but who plays games with no sound so that usually drowns it totally out. But I think that the 4870 coolers will fit the 4890 but let me look around and see just to make sure

OK thanks for checking, I just want it to be silent at idle, which I think it would be because it says 18DB @ 1,400RPM which would be more than enough with the new drivers that underclock it pretty far while it's idling on the XFX ones. and 28DB would be inaudible if you were playing a game that required it at 100%. I mostly play non-biased games, except far cry 2 which is totally biased towards Nvidia

AMD improved the stock cooler on the HD 4890 compared to the one fitted to the HD 4870. Although it looks the same, it's not the same under the hood and the 4890 stays a fair bit cooler. It won't be silent if you want to overclock it, but it won't be uncomfortably loud at all.

Yes, a cooler that works on an HD 4870 will work on an HD 4890.

I think he meant its not the same under the hood.

or maybe it looks the same but has been improved to work a little better.

from what I have read that cooler on the 4890 does a great job cooling but isn't totally silent like you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom