Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienownage
How would the 4200+ x2 compete with the E6400
It's not even in the same league. Here, the $316 (MSRP) Core 2 Duo E6600 is up there with the FX-62 in all of Anandtech's benchmarks, so you think the 4200+ can even stand a chance? Nope. Nada. Zilch.

Why do you think AMD is doing those price cuts? It's a desperate move to keep and hopefully gain AMD supporters, by making their processors cheaper. If you were smart, you would go with Core 2 Duo. Seriously though...think about it. The E6600 itself can perform just as well at stock speeds along with the FX-62, but for $700-ish less!
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Looks like the 4200+ can be had for $179 according to this http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/634813/

Does this change the recommendation?
__________________

jaymessasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
PerfectSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 982
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Conroe no doubt.
__________________
Rig -- Emachines T5026, 3.06ghz P4, 300W Bestec PSU, 160 sata hd, 512mb dual channel 3200 ram @ 3-3-5-8, ATI Radeon 9250 pci, dual layer 16x dvd+/-rw.
PerfectSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymessasher
Looks like the 4200+ can be had for $179 according to this http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/634813/

Does this change the recommendation?
That's not a bad price, but the E6300 provides better bang for your buck. Only $185 MSRP.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #15
BSOD
 
Sytheious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 245
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

In a nutshell" Conroe.

They offer better performance, and better performance per wat. Not only do you save money on the electricity bill, but you also get more for money.

Intially the cost of the processor might seem a bit to much, however, due to savings in the long run over electricty and power consumption overall within the PC. You'll save hundreds of dollars and be glad you purchased it.
Sytheious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 58
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Definitely Conroe
Lightning_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytheious
In a nutshell" Conroe.

They offer better performance, and better performance per wat. Not only do you save money on the electricity bill, but you also get more for money.

Intially the cost of the processor might seem a bit to much, however, due to savings in the long run over electricty and power consumption overall within the PC. You'll save hundreds of dollars and be glad you purchased it.
Sytheious, i wouldnt say you save that much on electricity. Conroe gives you more performance than their AMD counterparts. The only way AMD can keep up is to slash prices and thats what makes Conroe look so expensive. But really, compared to other previous Intel processors, Conroe is cheap. The price of Conroe is ridicously low. And kentsfield is just around the corner. Q4 '06!!
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
BSOD
 
Sytheious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 245
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
Sytheious, i wouldnt say you save that much on electricity. Conroe gives you more performance than their AMD counterparts. The only way AMD can keep up is to slash prices and thats what makes Conroe look so expensive. But really, compared to other previous Intel processors, Conroe is cheap. The price of Conroe is ridicously low. And kentsfield is just around the corner. Q4 '06!!

Actually you would save hundreds on electricity. I've tested this out before. I left my PC off every night, usually I leave it on, the bill went down considerably, roughly $20. Now if we multiply that by 12...see where this is going?
Sytheious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

I know what you are saying, but who leaves their computer running 24/7? The heat build up would be tremendous, unless its the winter, which would be nice. But its not ideal. Your powersupply plays a huge role in efficiency, more than your cpu would. your cpu plays little to no role in saving money.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: 4200 x2 or new conroe

Yeah, saving money mostly depends on your PSU's efficiency, rather than your PC's components.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0