4 sticks RAM in a Pentium 4 487 socket

Fisher

Fully Optimized
if i put 2x 512mb and 2x 256mb in a mobo that supports the Pentium 4 socket 487, will it have any performs hinderance like the athlon 64 socket 939 does when it has 4 sticks of RAM in it?

I wouldn't think so no. That should be okay. I'd make sure that you grouped them still though, having the 512mb ones next to each other, and the 256mb ones next to each other.

I used to have 1x512MB, and 3X256MB, and I never had any problems - took me to a strange amount (1.25GB) but I never had any problems, ran nice and fast.

I have never heard of Socket487, surely you mean Socket478?

Yeah, It really shouldn't give you any problems, I have never heard of any RAM problems with socket 478 processors. If you do have problems, it is most likely not the processor. 1.5 Gigs of RAM... Nice.

Fisher said:
if i put 2x 512mb and 2x 256mb in a mobo that supports the Pentium 4 socket 487, will it have any performs hinderance like the athlon 64 socket 939 does when it has 4 sticks of RAM in it?
No, providing the ram and m/board are compatible, I'm presently running 4 x 512
Kage said:
I wouldn't think so no. That should be okay. I'd make sure that you grouped them still though, having the 512mb ones next to each other, and the 256mb ones next to each other.
If the board supports dual channel then you will need to have the same size ram sticks in the same coloured slots for it to work.

Kage said:

You can't dual channel that way. If you want to get the most and dual-channel, install your memory sticks according to this diagram.

5 2 5 2
1 5 1 5
2 6 2 6

I know this is all going to mash together, but put your sticks in in that order, from left, to right.

Back
Top Bottom