386 and dvd booting

AndyMan123

Solid State Member
I have an old e-machines etower: 400ix I386. I have windows xp installed, I have a cd-rom and a dvd-rw. While in windows the dvd-rw drive can be read fine, no problems at all. I am trying to install a new OS (suse). The OS happens to be on a dvd. So I go into BIOS to change the boot order to boot the dvd-rw before the HDD. But when I get there I see no option to boot into the dvd-rw. The BIOS is American Megatrends AMIBIOS, I can't seem to find the BIOS version. I'm not sure what all of the options are so here is a list of available boot parameters...

1st - 4th IDE-HDD
Floppy
ARMD-FDD
ARMD-HDD
ATAPI CDROM
SCSI
Network
I20

....what should I do to be able to boot from the dvd-rw?

I'd be the Atapi CDROM, since when its in BIOS, it wouldn't know it was a DVD rom drive. It'd just use a standard driver to make it load cd's which is why the Atapi ones listed.

In windows is where it'd load the appropiate Dvd Rom driver :) So yeah, select the Atapi Cdrom.

I hope this helps :)

I forgot to added that I tried ATAPI CDROM and it didn't boot. Then when I put a disk in the CD-Rom drive it booted from it.

Yeah. Couldnt you just use that drive then to boot in Dos?

Dos won't read DVD's anyway for example

If you want to use it in DOS, you have to have drivers.

Some comptuers(I think Dell was bad for this...) would check the first CD Drive it comes to(like just D) Maybe you could swap them around.

And something else, LOL, I sure hope your not useing a 386 ;P I think you read something wrong ;P I think the IX's are either Celerons or Cyrix's

Sweet, thx The_Other_One! Switching master and slave did work. Before the CD-Rom was running on slave and trying to be booted from. So I just set the dvd-rw drive as slave and BIOS didn't seem to notice, so it booted the dvd. THANKS A LOT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom