300w power supply

onimusha

In Runtime
300w and 10a on one 12v line. this thing powers 1 6800gt, 1 overclocked amd 64 3200 2400mhz, 1 cd-rom 52x max LG, and thats it, all pci slots are empty. My system only posts and turns on normally when i set the ddr ram voltage to 2.6 ( i think 2.5 is default). I am 2 x 256 dual channel ddr 400 infineon ram. Is it my power supply not giving enough power to the infineon rams? I have to like put in my old ddr 2100 ram then go to bios and switch the ddr ram voltage to 2.6v, then put in the new ddr 400 infineon rams. Why cant the infineon ram post up my computer with the default bios settings? My monitor just stays off at 2.5v.

What motherboard are you using?
It seems like to me that it doesn't support the ddr400 dual memory that you are trying to use in it.

I'll give good advice (unlike lurkswithin). 300 watts is inadequate for a 6800GT, an AMD 64 3200, and 2 256MB DDR 400 ram. I would think you'd need at least 420 Watts or greater.

its a8v deluxe socket 939 with two blue and two black dual channel slots. IF my power supply is week how come i am able to overclock my cpu over 400mhz and my graphics card 50 mhz on core and 100 mhz on ram?

You have plenty of power from the psu to run with. I am still thinking that it is a compatability issue with your ram. I have seen some mobo's just not get along with certain brands of ram. For instance ...kingston will work in a lot of mobo's but the kingston value ram will not. Have you tried going to the mobo home site and searching for compatability issues with the ram?

Lurkswithin is correct on the ram possibility. I had 2 256 2100 ddr that would not run in one machine but runs fine in another.

I do not think it is a compatability issue at all. In fact I'll say again, the PSU is inadequate. There needs to be a bit more power then that.

hmmm, well assuming that you have no hardware you simlpy arn't telling us about the power supply should be fine...
infact the consumption is only 255W...
I do however air on the side of caution and agree with Gian that you really should upgrade,
for more info...
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

I'm not entierl sure about the voltages, what is the new RAM supposed to run on. (look at manuals) it could be that the lower 2.5 just is not adequate, which is a shame that this apears to be your bios default...

Alright,
It seems that your clock freq. is not in sinc with the voltage as being reported. In order for dual channel memory to operate the clock and voltage must match.
It is possible that the readings from one of the sensors is not accurate and thus you were not in sync. When you stepped up the voltage this brought the two into sync and allowed your dual channel memory to become operatable.
Dual channel memory ONLY works above 400mhz FSB and the higher the FSB is, the better the transfer of data in dual channel mode. This is one detail where intel works out better in dual channel archetecture than what AMD does simply because the intel uses higher FSB settings than AMD. This doesnt mean that intel is better by no means...it just means that they have an advantage with dual channel architecture.
While on the subject here, one must also realize that just putting two similar sticks of ram in dual channel slots doesn't and more than like WILL NOT give them dual channel capabilities. The ram sticks must BE A perfectly matched pair. and if something looses out in either of the sticks then all dual channel memory is gone and it reverts back to single channel mode. This is going to be a very major issue in the days to come as chips are overclocked and then become unstable and causes ram losses.
This can come about if there is a loss of 1mhz, and no one will be the wiser unless the test is performed at that exact time, but it could cause a lag as the memory is bottlenecked from reverting to and from the dual channel mode under heavy usage such as that in the newer games and all.

And yes I do concure that you should upgrade to a higher psu. But it really has no bearing on why your system wasn't working with the exchanged ram.
If it worked fine with the pc2100 that you had prior then it should have worked just as well with the pc3200.
There was no increase in wattage usage from the exchange

Back
Top Bottom