2nd HD connection...IDE 133 vs. USB 2.0?

rody084

Baseband Member
Hi,

I recently bought a bunch of parts to make a new system... its gonna have a SATA HD connection for my new Raptor HD....

but i still have a 60GB drive which I want to use leftover from my old system... So, I was wondering if i should connect that to the IDE port inside the comp or if i should run it on an external drive enclosure (which i already have) and run it usb 2.0

this would also apply to a DVD burner...

i have noticed before how things on the IDE port have often caused my system to lag a lot, so i am wondering if changing one of these things to USB 2.0 will yield a better solution...

anyone know?

thanks in advanced for the help!!

IDE is the better solution BY FAR! I do not think any USB drives can get over ATA33 and the USB bus is much harder on the computer than the IDE.

Now if you want it to be mobile, USB is fine. I have a USB drive I use for video editing on my laptop and it does great, but I can tell a difference in drive speeds(where as my interal drive is ATA100)

oh wow... thank you... i was always under the impression that USB 2.0 had surpassed ATA100 speeds... good thing i asked! lol ty!!

Back
Top Bottom