Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default 2nd Hard Drive somewhat useless...

I installed my 2nd hard drive (WD 320gb) as a storage drive and have most of my important system files on the Raptor.

The problem is that this second hard drive came straight out of my old Sony and has not been reformatted, so everything is still on the drive, including programs, games, and even Windows XP MCE.

Since most of the stuff on the drive doesn't work anyway, I'm planning on transferring my important files to my external HD and reformatting this second drive to have a nice, clean start.

Is there anything special I need to do in order to reformat the drive after I've backed up everything? How should I go about doing it? I have a feeling that my computer has trouble recognizing some tasks and programs since they were installed on XP.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

Intel Q6600 @ 3204Mhz ~ Tuniq Tower 120 ~Corsair XMS2 5GB ~ WD VelociRaptor 150GB Main ~ WD 1TB Black ~ EVGA 8800GTS 640MB ~ 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
GhostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: 2nd Hard Drive somewhat useless...

Go to control panel, system and maintenance, administrative tools, create and format hard disk partitions would be the best way.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: 2nd Hard Drive somewhat useless...

Atomic Rooster's way should work just fine for you. I have Norton's Partionmagic and that seems to work just fine for me. I don't use it all to often, but it's a very simple interface to work with.
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote