2gb RAM enough?

Kaotix

Baseband Member
I have a 3.00Ghz intel core duo processor with 2gb RAM and I was wondering if updating to 2x2 gb would increase the computers performance. Would it help use the processor to its potential?

Well, what do you use your computer for? If it's just Microsoft Word and Facebook, then it's probably not worth it. If, however, you do a lot of photo editing and gaming, then it's probably worth the upgrade.

I use it for a lot of gaming. ^^ Mainly Starcraft 2 ^^ I dont know where to find the type of motherboard im using as it was a pre-built Dell XPS gaming system.

If your GPU doesn't keep up, I would upgrade that first.

Yea.

Increasing RAM won't increase physical speed of the machine but what it does do is allow increased productivity; like trying to run a growing business from a broom cupboard. Eventually you'll need a nice big office to allow you to perform the tasks needed.

You might have enough RAM for what you want/need to do.

I use it for a lot of gaming. ^^ Mainly Starcraft 2 ^^ I dont know where to find the type of motherboard im using as it was a pre-built Dell XPS gaming system.

Whats the model number of your Dell?

If you're still living on 2GB and trying to play Starcraft 2, you need to get to 4GB post-haste. I have 8GB on my desktop at home, and StarCraft 2 is the only game I have where it'll peg 3880+ MB of RAM in use on my system. A friend of mine with 2GB is complaining all the time about performance in the game, and he has an 8800 GTS 512 card which is no slouch.

hey,

i would recommend getting a total of 4gb ram but i wouldn't make it your first priority. i recently just built a gaming pc and only have 2gb in it because i couldn;t afford 4 or 8 initially. so yes do get more ram but i don't think you'll notice huuuuge differences.

If your struggling to do something on your machine then take a look at the task manager and check the RAM usage. If your using most of it, or all of it, then yea, get some RAM.

When I start to use more than 2GB of my 3GB during average usage i'll double my RAM.

Back
Top Bottom