260 vs 295?

lol your missing the point, he trying to say that the 295 is way to powerful, and im telling him that the core 216's in sli are almost as powerful, so you should go and read a little better.

Then why would you want him to spend around $250-$300 more on something that isn't that much more powerful? I don't really see the use of spending that much for a 5%-8% increase. Maybe 10 at most in a select amount of games.

Im not one of the smartest members ?

x2

I know a fair decent amount, i dont know as much as some of the gurus here that have no life. At least i can control myself when it comes to my attitude, defending that mod didnt help you to much huh?

Is that why you called me an ignorant fanboy?
Now you're insulting the majority of members on this forum for not having a life. Just because some a vast amount of knowledge in a certain field does not mean they don't have a life. When someone relies on a certain field to make money, it becomes somewhat important. I have to rely on my computer skills to make money. At least we come on to help people and not just insult members. How many of us answered questions that you had? I remember helping you quite a bit.

I remember you said awhile back that im the type of person to make users walk away from CF, well im starting to really believe thats you because for some reason u always have something against me.

I can see where he is coming from. When there are other people more knowledgeable than you, listen to them. Just because you want your friend to have the best doesn't mean you insult all of the members on here. He said he didn't want to spend money that he doesn't need to. I'm helping him on that basis. He could pick up a $150 GPU and get the same exact results as the $600 card you are suggesting.

Seriously all im saying is that it would be a wiser choice to go with the 295 because its future proof, does not take up as much room, the value of it is a lot higher, meaning if his 90 day went out and he wanted to sell the card he would sell it for more. If the guy has enough money to buy a $500+ GPU, he has enough to buy a new monitor.

Okay, good point. If he bought the Core 216 right now and it didn't suit him, he could always move up couldn't he? No harm done. Who knows, maybe the price might drop a bit too. He's not losing any money at all by going with a weaker card. The value is higher because it's the top card on the GPU market. Soon as he uses it once, the value drops a lot. Why would he want to sell the card after 90 days? Just because people buy high end stuff doesn't mean that they have money to throw around. I had to save up for a very long time to have the rig I do today. If he really had that much money he would just buy the most expensive stuff and put it together. But him saying he doesn't want to spend money that he doesn't have to, says otherwise.

alright well im not really going to bother reading that, just way to much reading but im guessing rohan is just on my butt about everything so anyways im done argueing, really stupid thing to get into an arguement. At the end of the day your still all my friends in my book, everybody needs help even u rohan at some point, but im done, i have told you what my thought on the 295 is and i dont need to explain anymore

Dang, you guys! Busy-Bee posters over the weekend. I go out to get a suit and a haircut and this thread catches on fire!

I think I phrased my question wrong here, or perhaps forgot to mention I plan to stop using monitors and switch to RP TV's (the 65" Mitsu, for instance.) Or just use both from time to time. Oh and probably going to buy the Nvidia 3D glasses to roll with it. (Mind you the TV alone is 2 grand so it might be some time before I can afford it) I'm all about aesthetics, but I want to make sure I use all i've got and stay future proof, too. Which is tough because technology moves quick. For whatever reason, I want teh card :S

Chill out guys! Damn.

Here's the bottom line:

A GTX295 or a GTX260(216) in SLI would be overkill. Taking into account that the discussion is between these 2 set-ups alone, a GTX295 is the smarter choice. You save $75 or so with the 260(216) SLI set-up, true, but you also get less power. Assuming he does not upgrade his monitor yet, when he does upgrade the SLI set-up will not be cutting edge like he wants to. The sensible choice here is to go with a single GTX260(216) and think about raw power when he has the monitor to support it.

edit: uhoh!

Change in plans guys:

1. nVidia 3D Glasses require a 120Hz refresh rate meaning the only possible monitors he can run this at is TVs (other than a new $400 Samsung Monitor).
2. Since he is already plans on using a TV, it is a no-brainer that the GTX295 is the most sensible choice.
3. With the 3D technology in gaming, future gamers will require more and more power, therefore headroom right now is important (295!)

/thread

Whoa guys!!!
Let's get down to the meat and potatos of the OP's question and ask back to him:
What is it you want to do that would require that much video horsepower?

I want to spend a final amount of money to keep my system at the peak of S775 setups for 3 or 4 years. I agree with both parties on their respective arguements. I know the 295 is TOO powerful, the 260 C216 actually isn't too powerful, but SLI might be. Future proof is where I'm at - Would a 260 C216 with TSLI be better off down the road because of the possibility for TRI rather than Quad SLI enhancements or going with a 295 now and SLI'ing it later. I will settle for no less than a GTX series card because i've ran a mid 9x series card for so long now. TBH, the average 30fps I get are just annoying the piss out of me. So I want to be the absolute pinnacle for some time to come. Facts and opinions count, as noone knows where the future of GPU's are anymore, but please don't flame though as it might cause a lock.

Of course in raw/gross specs. But are the majority of games going to be coded around TSLI or QSLI? Because look at how the 9800Gx2 turned out.

Good call, but it gets right back to the TSLI vs QSLI issue that could be posed. Noone's really sure how well QSLI turned out on the 9800Gx2. I assume that QSLI will generically be supported. But Nvidia is leaning more towards 3 way SLI than they are dual/quad SLI. I wonder if that's an indication they have more in store for 3 way cards. SUCH AS the 260/275/280/285.

Back
Top Bottom