250W PSU upgrade? Does it require any other changes?

almuerzo

Solid State Member
Can I just buy a higher output wattage psu, put it in and rock on? I am trying to upgrade for better gaming. I did not know if I could just change the psu or have to make major changes all around.

yeah, as long as you don't have a dell or some other name brand pc. if you do you can't just buy a new psu off of newegg or something and put it in and rock on, you'd have to buy it from the company and pay an arm and a leg for it.
But yeah, if you have a custom pc then you can just buy a new psu and swap it. Depending on what components you have, I'd go with a 400-500 watt psu. And brands like thermaltake, aspire, antec.

wozelbeak said:
i don't know if a psu will improve your gaming?
woz
actually yes it does, but depending on the graphics card, some graphics cards require a higher wattage when playing high quality games like... battlefield 2, or fear.
more memory required for bigger games= more power.

but the point is that if your psu isnt high enough, you wont be able to play at all, or you will see the onvious problems.
in other words if a graphics card requires a higher wattage and has nort got it, it wont work will it.
woz

I apologize for not clearly typing my message. I want to upgrade my hard drive, gpu, and memory. That is what I meant by, "I am trying to upgrade for better gaming." I have a Compaq and it has a 250W output. I wanted to step up to at least 400W or better. What I really needed to know was if there are any "major" things I needed to do or could I just change it out and enjoy.

Which, in your opinion, is better, the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra OC or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT OC?

Back
Top Bottom