(2 x 1gb) vs (4 x 512mb)

ahh but thats where you are wrong.
it costs $67 for a 2x512 dual channel kit on newegg with a cas of 2.5,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

the cheapest 2x1gb that has a cas of 2.5 is $146... so it's a little bit less cost effective..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047

my problem is, I wont have the cash needed to get the 2x1gb.. but I would for the 2x512.. (for temp use, planned on upping it to 4x512, but now that I see it would go ddr333... I don't really want to...)

Oh, I see what you're saying. My bad. And sorry for the wrong information, I thought that it was cheaper. Oh well, go with whatever feels right :D. I don't really know.

JustinMcG67 said:
Go with the 4x512. The frequency may seem slower, but to compensate for this, you have every slot talkign to each other and transfering crap at a much higher rate. Frequency isn't everything, moving things however is. If you have the same amount of storage, which in your case is 1 gigabyte, and you can only move it across 2 sticks, you'll be slower as oppossed to moving it across four sticks.

Trust me, go with the 4x512, you'll definetly like it. :)

Hmmm... that sounds real good... do you know of any site that talks about this?

When you use 4 sticks with AMD processors the memory has to run at a 2T command rate. While if you have 2 x 1gb it will run at 1T command rate. 1T is supposed to be faster then 2T. So the only time I would suggest getting 4 x 512mb is if you are going to be getting really good overclocking memory. If you arent overclocking then just stick with the 2 x 1gb. By the looks of how much you are spending I think that you should just get the 2 x 1gb.

No no no! Dont go with the 4x512. Do you have any idea how hard that is going to be on the memory controller. I was told to ALWAYS get 1gb sticks when gettin into those amounts. Only 512 when your halfing it.

JustinMcG67 said:
Go with the 4x512. The frequency may seem slower, but to compensate for this, you have every slot talkign to each other and transfering crap at a much higher rate. Frequency isn't everything, moving things however is. If you have the same amount of storage, which in your case is 1 gigabyte, and you can only move it across 2 sticks, you'll be slower as oppossed to moving it across four sticks.

Trust me, go with the 4x512, you'll definetly like it. :)
Could you give me a link or somthing to back this up? To me it sounds like you are just making crap up.

Arhg... if I get the 2x1gb then I have to get a weaker video card..... right now i'm thinking the 7600GT.. but if I go 2x1gb over 2x512, then i'll have to get a 6600GT...

Just wait til there's a sale or til you have money or both? I just bought 2x1 gb. I dunno anything about the specifics 4x512mb vs 2x 1gb

personally i prefer 2x 1gb.

Even if you dont beleive me by it being hard on the memory controller (thanks to Alvino I learned), get the 2x1gb because, there is room to upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom