Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default 2 quick questions

Alright I'm about to upgrade my computer significantly and need some quick questions answered. I currently have a stock Dell Inspiron 530 except that I replaced the power supply and added a HD 4870 graphics card about 6 months ago... but my processor is garbage and it's time to upgrade. I'm interested in purchasing a AMD Phenom II 1090t X6 processor, and therefore need to upgrade the motherboard too. (I'm also purchasing a new case and some better memory). Anyway, I'm just wondering if the processor I mentioned is compatible with the following motherboard?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

And my other question.. I currently have windows vista installed but don't feel the need to upgrade to Windows 7, If I keep the current hard drive that my computer has, will I be able to keep my current OS without buying a new one? I don't have the disks that go with it because they didn't give them when I bought this computer 4 years ago.

firecat318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: 2 quick questions

Yes, the processor if compatible with the Gigabyte motherboard. Great choice by the way. It's a quality board with great options.

Swapping a drive with Vista on it isn't a good idea. It can create more problems than not. If you do get it to work it can lead to a very unstable system in most cases. You would be better off getting a new OS and backing up your important files and such.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: 2 quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Swapping a drive with Vista on it isn't a good idea. It can create more problems than not. If you do get it to work it can lead to a very unstable system in most cases. You would be better off getting a new OS and backing up your important files and such.
I've swapped hard drives with OS still on before with no problems. I have Win7, or is it just Vista that has the problem?
detox is offline   Reply With Quote