2 questions one thread

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi again I recently asked you all if I should use a optiplex or a laptop for my htpc

I have decided to go with the dell optiplex 745 sff as far as a can tell my GPU doesent send audio through the HDMI port but my graphics card has a little 2pin spdif in port is there somewhere on the optiplex motherboard small form factor that this cable could go if so would it then send audio via HDMI

If there is nowhere for the spdif to go could I use a small pci card with spdif out on the card and connect that directly to the spdif in on the GPU and would it then send audio via HDMI

Second question

I recently asked about using 4tb drives in my acer aspire if I removed all the parts from this tower would I be able to buyand put it all into a fractal design core 3000 case I realy love this case and will plan on using it in a new build later next year but could I put my motherboard and PSU into it for the time being

You have to reroute the sound through the card for the HDMI to deliver it to the TV or monitor with sound.
Right click the speaker icon in the tray and select playback devices. When the window opens you'll see where the sound is being routed now. If you see your TV on the list then select that as the primary playback device. Click apply then ok.
When I change the selection I normally reboot then go back to make sure my selection was locked in.

As for the dell MB, the ones I've seen have the holes for the hold down screws in odd places that don't mate up to other MB mounting plates. When you're looking at the case from the front, does the right side open up to get in to the insides?

Last edited:
It isn't the dell I want to put into a fractal case

That's a acer aspire m3201 I want to swap just the case from the standard acer to fractal design core 3000 but don't no what type of board the acer is

As for the dell only one option appears and that's speakers and that's intergrated 3.5 jack on motherboard

Is you HDMI grafix dedicated or built-in? If dedicated, what is the model?

It could support audio but something is on the way. Audio via HDMI does require drivers too that should come bundled with the grafix drivers in the full package. If everything is ready, then your answer is with SS above.

Back
Top Bottom