2 Questions - Installing CPU, recover files

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

Well first off, I have recently built my first pc, Athlon X2 4200+...and am wondering how different it is to install a Core 2 Duo CPU...which i will be doing for someone tomorrow, would it be, in your opinion, easier, harder, the same?

ANd secondly....i have a hard drive here out of a pc that blew up...the files are fine and ive put it in an external case...i wanna get some files needed and then format it, but when i try to access their documents...for example "C:\Documents and Settings\*USERNAME*\", it pops up saying "access is denied"...now i want to salvage the files but cant find a workaround? any ideas?

THanks,

Matt

Intel's are always slightly harder to fit, due to the different mechanism in which they lock. That said, as long as you read the manual of fitting it, you should be alright :)

"C:\Documents and Settings\*USERNAME*\", it pops up saying "access is denied"...now i want to salvage the files but cant find a workaround? any ideas?"

This is a problem. You obviously locked out other people on your network, so only you could access your files. I've had this problem also since I've tried a few times, when carrying out routine checks, to try and open my documents in my dads partition and couldn't.

I'll have to research a bit on this and get back to you.

Thanks Kage....

Could i not boot into a linux live CD or something and access them? Or would they be encrypted for more than just Windows lol

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
ANd secondly....i have a hard drive here out of a pc that blew up...the files are fine and ive put it in an external case...i wanna get some files needed and then format it, but when i try to access their documents...for example "C:\Documents and Settings\*USERNAME*\", it pops up saying "access is denied"...now i want to salvage the files but cant find a workaround? any ideas?

THanks,

Matt
You need to take ownership

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

How to take ownership of a file
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

Source

Thanks for the reply, but i cant see no Security tab?? Only a Sharing and Security which has no advanced button?

Matt

EDIT: NVM i worked it out, u need to be using the Classic Sharing and Security, not the Simple.....thanks a heap :)

Lol, getting the CPU and stuff i have to put together today! EEEK!! lol...just hoping it all goes like clockwork lol

Matt

Back
Top Bottom