2 problems

Ah ha! I'd not heard of that tech. yet... I just new my drives never slowed down. They just worked or they didn't ;P

Hehe, sorry rymort, for stealing your post ;P

anyone know anything about the shutdown problem?

edit *

tyhis is second time its happend since ive ownd this computer, which was some time in august 2004

i click shutdown and it just sits there on my deesktop looking stupid till 5 mins later it shuts down

It is HD man, pls trust me. the retractor arm is probably damaged (would explain it being loud), and doesn't activate or move fast enough anymore. get a new HD (don't do refurb)

Use my links above. Or go to www.pricewatch.com and click hard drives and shop through them

try Disk Defragmenter, my pc was running slow and its ok now, sort through your files and remove the files you don't use.

Shutdown problems(with 98 espcially) normally had something to do with the network setting. Perhaps you could try to reinstall your network stuff, or disable it. Though...I know my comp with XP just recently seemed to take longer to shut down, and I've not installed anything that runs the the background or change any settings... My lappy with 2000 is still fine... XP just sucks ;P

As for the noise, is it actually louder, or simply just thinking more? If it's getting louder, that's a sign of a dying drive. YOu could check in your BIOS to see if you have a SMART option for the drive. If that's not enabled, try it, and see if it'll catch any problems. Also, being Maxtor, get a copy of their diag disk and run the tests(if you call their support, they want you to do so...)

One more thing, I suggest, if that drive is bad, to get a new one then sell it! I've had SOOOOOOOO many problems with Maxtor drives, I refuse to use them any more. Seagate is the way to go for stability, and that's what my 2 main systems have in them and they've been perfect. Then again, I have a Maxtor drive from the early 90s that still works.

The_Other_One said:
I've had SOOOOOOOO many problems with Maxtor drives, I refuse to use them any more. Seagate is the way to go for stability, and that's what my 2 main systems have in them and they've been perfect.
Thats exactly why seagate backs their drives with a 5 year warranty, vs. maxtors 1 year. Here at the shop we replace 2-3 maxtors every week. We quit carrying them because of all the free labor we had to do.

The_Other_One said:
Shutdown problems(with 98 espcially) normally had something to do with the network setting. Perhaps you could try to reinstall your network stuff, or disable it. Though...I know my comp with XP just recently seemed to take longer to shut down, and I've not installed anything that runs the the background or change any settings... My lappy with 2000 is still fine... XP just sucks ;P

As for the noise, is it actually louder, or simply just thinking more? If it's getting louder, that's a sign of a dying drive. YOu could check in your BIOS to see if you have a SMART option for the drive. If that's not enabled, try it, and see if it'll catch any problems. Also, being Maxtor, get a copy of their diag disk and run the tests(if you call their support, they want you to do so...)

One more thing, I suggest, if that drive is bad, to get a new one then sell it! I've had SOOOOOOOO many problems with Maxtor drives, I refuse to use them any more. Seagate is the way to go for stability, and that's what my 2 main systems have in them and they've been perfect. Then again, I have a Maxtor drive from the early 90s that still works.

its not getting louder, just sounds like its thinking ALOT

Back
Top Bottom