2 problems

rymort

In Runtime
1. I have a 120gb maxtor hd. my computer has been running a bit slow lately and i have an amd64 3000+ with 1gb ram so it shouldnt run slow.

the hard drive when loading stuff makes this sound like the old computers did, it sounds like its really working hard.... could my comp running slow be my hd?

2. For some f'ed up reason i cannont shut down my computer unless i hold the power button for 3 seconds.... ive scanned for virus using adaware6, spybot, and webroot window washer and norton 2004. nothing....
the computewr takes about 5 mins to shut down which is crazy... how do i fix this?

also this is just recent, it never used to do this

The retract arm may be broken on the HD, so it will be slower. Or you may have a very slealthy virus. try running Stinger, it is free. See if it finds anything that Norton missed.

STINGER- http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Click download stinger, and use the scan, it finds really bad viruses. But if HD is making that noise, it sounds like the retract and scan arm is broken or malfunctioning, or the rev engine (spins Hard disks) is damaged, and may not be spinning but around 1,000-3,000 RPM (which isn't good for you) GL fixing it! :(

only got 40 gb on it...
it was a refurbished hard drive too....
i guess thats wut i get for being cheap, oh well after christmas im buying 2x 40gb wd hd's and going to put them in raid 0
anyone else have any suggestions on a new hardrive?

dont say the 74gb raptors cuz i can afford them things lol

*snaps* It just hit me... Go to device manager, hardware, ect... Check the speed of your primary IDE controller(SATA if that's what the drive is...) Make sure it's not in some PIO mode or something. I had problems with my Abit doing that...

i went to the device manager, hardware, primary ide cuz it is ide. how do i check speed?

Under the primary IDE channel, you should see an advanced settings tab. Make sure that DMA if avalible is selected, and below it says Ultra DMA.

And AMD...I would suspect if the spin moter was dying that he'd have more than just slow problems. The heads would be set to read while the disk is spinning at whatever speed the platters original were spinning at, thus being unable to read it at any slower speed... At least, that's how I'd see it.

They can read at slower speeds, provided the HD has the 2003 adaptive speed technology. That was invented so that hardrives could actually slow themselves down in order to work on large files without overheating. This technology also enables the spin up at startup not to damage the HD as it used to (reason for HD predelay in old BIOS) in many old PCs. This is just one of many problems however. The HD is fried, it is REFURB, assume the worst. Never go REFURB...It is just as bad as Dell. LOLOL, I crack myself up. :D :D :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom