Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Default Re: 2 operating systems on one computer?

just make sure you save the file when you close

jenox, yeah, he could go delete the partition and reinstall the whole thing. but what for??? he already did that, read my previous posts and maybe you'll get it.

xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremezx2
just make sure you save the file when you close

jenox, yeah, he could go delete the partition and reinstall the whole thing. but what for??? he already did that, read my previous posts and maybe you'll get it.
No I'm saying just delete the old partition and stick to one copy of windows...no reinstalling, he's got one good version, delete the other other version he isn't using and free up some space.

Jenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

^^right. a good program like G-parted can adujst partitions and stuff without formatting. If he used a good one, he wouldn't need to reinstall windows again.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
BSOD

That's exactly what I'm saying lol. Just free up that extra space, no install needed. I believe Windows itself can get rid of the partition in Administrative Tools.
Jenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Daemon Poster

he doesn't have two installs. wow, you guys. he formatted his hard drive and reinstalled, sometimes the boot.ini file just gets added to instead of overwritten. I've had it happen quite a few times after deleting the partition and formatting. It's an easy fix being he already formatted, if he deletes the partition, he won't have an os.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
he doesn't have two installs. wow, you guys. he formatted his hard drive and reinstalled, sometimes the boot.ini file just gets added to instead of overwritten. I've had it happen quite a few times after deleting the partition and formatting. It's an easy fix being he already formatted, if he deletes the partition, he won't have an os.
If he formatted the drive then the boot.ini file would have gone with it. So he has either done another install on the same partition or another partition. The boot.ini file cant get added to unless it still exists, which would mean no format.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

no, sometimes it doesn't. i've seen it happen many times. i work as a tech in a computer repair shop, i install windows countless times. i don't really give a crap if you believe me right now or not, because if you don't, i don't care. he prolly only has one partition anyway.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

wait, your saying that you've seen boot.ini last through reformats??? thats impossable.

i can understand a new boot sector not being re-written properly, but there is no chance that a file could survive the format.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #19
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
no, sometimes it doesn't. i've seen it happen many times. i work as a tech in a computer repair shop, i install windows countless times. i don't really give a crap if you believe me right now or not, because if you don't, i don't care. he prolly only has one partition anyway.
Well i dont believe you at all, it wouldnt survive a format, if its done properly. Oh and while where throwing around experience. Im qualified in A+, MCP and working towards MCSE, so im not exactly new to this myself
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #20
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to toole13 Send a message via MSN to toole13

OK well I think I fixed my problem, or at least it's fixed enough for me, and thanks to all. I think everyone should chill and stop arguing! Thanks to all who helped me with my problem but I didn't start this thread so everyone could argue. Kiss and make up? Thank you.

www.2028blog.com
toole13 is offline   Reply With Quote