2 Monitors

BobbyDRZA

Baseband Member
Me and my group are upgrading the studio equipment and want to get maybe 2 widescreen monitors for dual monitor view. We are using the Nvidia onboard graphics chip and want to know in order to use 2 monitors to expand our view, would we need a card that has 2 VGA or DVI outputs or could we get a splitter to split the signal and what are any of the possible benefits and drawbacks.

You'd need a card with dual outputs.

No splitter as such is available, the draw backs if it were would be cloned screens (both displaying the same content)

With dual monitors and extended desktop you then have a massive desktop spannig both screens.

You'd need a card with dual outputs.

No splitter as such is available, the draw backs if it were would be cloned screens (both displaying the same content)

With dual monitors and extended desktop you then have a massive desktop spannig both screens.

true, or you could use 2 different cards
its more expensive
but its just a thought
i would also suggest a sli board
they have multiple PCI-E slots and allow multiple cards
not in sli if you dont want it

Personally, I'd recommend you to grab a budget card and the widescreen monitors. The rst will be done itself.

There is a splitter to use a spanned desktop on 2 monitors, but it costs a fortune, so it would be better to buy a budget card that can handle dual monitors. The splitter makes the 2 monitors act as 1 giant monitor, so Windows sees one giant monitor and not 2 monitors connected.

Depending upon what connectors you got on your board (PCI, AGP, or PCI-e) will determine what you can get, but I had an fx5200 that I used for dual monitors with an extra PCI card for an extra monitor (for 3 monitors). Now I use two 7600GT's.

So if I get something like a budget ATI or Nvidia card with the proper outs, I should be able to have 2 monitors combine the image to act as one monitor? also most of the cards that I have seen with dual outs has one VGA and one DVI so will there be a lopside in image quality if I were to connect 2 monitors to these two seperate outputs?

Depends what your "budget" is and what your card interface is, AGP or PCI-e.

VGA v DVI depends on whether both your monitors are DVI or analogue, if they're both analogue then it will make no difference, if both are DVI then I'd suggest you get a card with dual DVI out.

If you're looking to run an spanned desktop i.e. spanning both monitors with the single desktop (other options being dual desktops or cloned desktop) then I would suggest going with NVIDIA, the last time I looked into ATi cards they couldn't do a spanned desktop (may be different now)

Can someone list a few PCI-express cards that have daul monitor outputs for using 2 monitors to combine to expand the desktop. We are using this system strictly for audio production so we do not need anything fancy for graphics, only something that will allow us to use 2 monitors simultaneously for expanded desktop view.

Can someone list a few PCI-express cards that have daul monitor outputs for using 2 monitors to combine to expand the desktop. We are using this system strictly for audio production so we do not need anything fancy for graphics, only something that will allow us to use 2 monitors simultaneously for expanded desktop view.

Back
Top Bottom