Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
per
BSOD

Default Re: 2 Hardrives, partition 1 of those & 2 OS per partition

Partition Magic 8.0 or later. $50. Or try ranish.com. Free. Be very careful and follow the instructions. Backup any data you want to save as they sometimes fail to retain the data.

per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #12
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulz
-spanfusion - Im using an older 1.8 pent 4 with only 512 SD Ram on it, i would of assumed the newer seagate 160 GB would be better to run windows on as everything would run faster, as thats also where all my programs will be on, id rather leave it on teh 160?
Well, assuming the 160GB is faster, it still wouldn't make too much of a difference. I'm not saying it couldn't work the way you want it to; it just seems more practical to do it the other way around. It's up to you though. But unless they have different RPMs, I don't think it would make Windows run much faster, if at all.

catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:02 AM   #13
Solid State Member

Well after many attempts, ive finally managed to get things sorted and have a multi boot option upon boot up!

First of all Partition Magic 8.0 did the job of splitting my 160 GB in half as i was unsuccessful for some reason doing it on the windows blue screen when you insert your xp disc than reboot.

After a few screw arounds and a message popping up during boot up saying "xmnt 2002 program not found, skipping AUTOCHECK" i finally manage to format both partitions and installed both OS.

Thnx for everyone's help regardless!

PS - Just out of curiosity, why is that when you reformat, theres 8MB reserve on your harddrive that you cant wipe?
Are these bootable files that windows need? Id assumed that when you install windows from a disc all those types of files get automatically transferred?

Pat.
Impulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #14
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulz
Well after many attempts, ive finally managed to get things sorted and have a multi boot option upon boot up!

First of all Partition Magic 8.0 did the job of splitting my 160 GB in half as i was unsuccessful for some reason doing it on the windows blue screen when you insert your xp disc than reboot.

After a few screw arounds and a message popping up during boot up saying "xmnt 2002 program not found, skipping AUTOCHECK" i finally manage to format both partitions and installed both OS.

Thnx for everyone's help regardless!

PS - Just out of curiosity, why is that when you reformat, theres 8MB reserve on your harddrive that you cant wipe?
Are these bootable files that windows need? Id assumed that when you install windows from a disc all those types of files get automatically transferred?

Pat.
Yes now lets getr serious.and leave this confussion.
Send me a PM or email or keep floundering around.
I'm waiting chicken.

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote