Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Sedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 132
Question 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

This is going to be my 1st time building and any help/advice appreciated. Let me know what ya guys think.

I summed up of what I'm going to be ordering and it follows:

- Intel i7 920 Processor [planning to overclock to 3.0-4.0 later on]
- Evga Intel x58 ATX
- Geforce Evga GTX 260 [planning to buy a 2nd one later on as well]
- Corsair 750tx 750w
- OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3
- 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 7200RPM
- Pioneer 20 DVD+ burner
- Antec Nine Hundred Two
- Windows Vista 64 Bit

anything else I'm missing? OR any recommendation? and any advice prior and after it has been put together appreciated. [I kno I didnt write down the monitor but I already know which one Im getting]

thanks in advance.
__________________

Sedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Looks to be a nice build.

Here's a nice site that will help you with assembling a computer:

My Super PC - Build A PC - How To Assemble
__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
metin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 364
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

If you didn't know already
Put in the memory and processor prior to installing the motherboard in the case
And apply thermal paste (:
Other than that..good luck.
__________________
CM-690|Biostar TP45HP|Xigmatek HDT S1283 w/ Bracket|Intel Core2Duo E8500|Seagate 500GB|Sapphire 4850 512MB|Corsair 4GB|Win 8 64bit|Acer 22" Monitor
metin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 33
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by metin View Post
If you didn't know already
Put in the memory and processor prior to installing the motherboard in the case
And apply thermal paste (:
Other than that..good luck.
I dont mean to take over this this thread but i was thinking of the same question but was going to ask later when i get the parts... but what the heck ill just ask now....

after you put on the processor and memory, mount the motherboard... you just hook everything else up? and install the OS?
nesto1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Sedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 132
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Looks to be a nice build.

Here's a nice site that will help you with assembling a computer:

My Super PC - Build A PC - How To Assemble
oOoOo thank you for the link, will def. use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metin View Post
If you didn't know already
Put in the memory and processor prior to installing the motherboard in the case
And apply thermal paste (:
Other than that..good luck.
would it really make make a diff. if I put it afterwards? or just for convenience purposes? and thermal paste, would i have to purchase that seperately?
Sedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

It really doesn't matter if you put the memory and CPU in afterwards. But, I would highly suggest mounting the CPU and heatsink before installing the motherboard as the heatsink can be a pain to install while everything is in the case.

You shouldn't need any thermal paste as the heatsink that comes with the CPU has it pre-applied.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Sedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 132
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
It really doesn't matter if you put the memory and CPU in afterwards. But, I would highly suggest mounting the CPU and heatsink before installing the motherboard as the heatsink can be a pain to install while everything is in the case.

You shouldn't need any thermal paste as the heatsink that comes with the CPU has it pre-applied.
okay so I wouldnt need to buy this then right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007, also, i was thinking of gettin a diff. heatsink for the CPU since I am planning to overclock it, you think I would need a diff. heatsick besides the one already included or wouldnt really matter to much?
Sedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Quote:
okay so I wouldnt need to buy this then right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007, also, i was thinking of gettin a diff. heatsink for the CPU since I am planning to overclock it, you think I would need a diff. heatsick besides the one already included or wouldnt really matter to much?
If you are installing an aftermarket HS, you will. The stock one has the TIM pre-applied though.
And get some Arctic Cooling MX-2
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Water cooled for the win. Haha. It really doesn't matter what order you put it together just be careful not "shock" the cpu with static.
(when you rub your feet on the carpet to shock someone)
I would take a look at that guide atomic rooster has posted.
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
Sedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 132
Default Re: 1st time building, any help/advices appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
Water cooled for the win. Haha. It really doesn't matter what order you put it together just be careful not "shock" the cpu with static.
(when you rub your feet on the carpet to shock someone)
I would take a look at that guide atomic rooster has posted.
lol i would buy water cooling for sure but i dont want to risk it, lol might mess up and there goes the whole system lol
__________________

Sedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0