Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default 1st post: i7 4970k w/ gigabyet z97x gaming 3?

Hi. This is my very 1st post.

I am building a PC right now. Well actually buying all the components, then building.
I just bought the Intel i7 4970k Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR3 RAM. I also got the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 mobo.

MY background and experience with PC's is minimal to none. I am replacing our home desktop PC. I could go buy 1 pre-built. But I want this challenge.

Our PC will only be used for the basics. Email, browsing, word documents, possibly some light gaming in the future. But most storing family pics, vids etc. I might like to get into some home video editing in the future.

Is this mobo good for my needs.
I would like to build the biggest and baddest PC I can.
The more bells and whistles it comes with but I don't have Im ok with.

I've been reading about bottlenecking.
Will this mobo hold me back from performance from my CPU?
Will it limit what I can add or do to my PC in the future?

frldyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: 1st post: i7 4970k w/ gigabyet z97x gaming 3?

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frldyz View Post
MY background and experience with PC's is minimal to none. I am replacing our home desktop PC. I could go buy 1 pre-built. But I want this challenge.
Good idea. You get more for the money and you learn a lot doing it. As a bonus you can say, "i built it". And people are like: "wow, really. That's impressive"

Quote:
Is this mobo good for my needs.
I would like to build the biggest and baddest PC I can.
The more bells and whistles it comes with but I don't have Im ok with.

I've been reading about bottlenecking.
Will this mobo hold me back from performance from my CPU?
Will it limit what I can add or do to my PC in the future?
So you want the "biggest and baddest" pc for casual stuff and lite gaming. Not sure i understand why.

I would save some money and go with the I5-4690 instead. It's gonna do just as fine. The i7 and i5 are actually the same CPU. The difference is the hyper threading feature. It's brilliant for rendering and de/compressing files. But i don't think you are gonna benefit much from it. Do you know what rendering and file compression is? If not, the I7 isn't for you. People that can benefit from an I7 knows what it is.

About your RAM. great choice, but do you really need 16 gig. I already know the answer. No. Get a 2x4 gig kit. It's cheaper and you are gonna see ZERO difference.

The motherboard you have chosen will not bottleneck. Motherboard are not much of a performance part. Even the cheap once shouldn't bottleneck your CPU.
You could in fact go with a cheaper motherboard without you will notice a difference. Motherboards with higher price adds mostly features.
And over the years the cheaper once are closing in on the more premium once in terms of functionality and features. The small details, tweaks and features the premium boards have are expensive. Because a 80 dollar board will perform somewhat identical to a 200 dollar board in benchmarks.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: 1st post: i7 4970k w/ gigabyet z97x gaming 3?

Pretty much what Biker says. If you want bragging rights then go for it but it's a waste of money to me. An i5 with 8 gigs mem will do just fine on a business motherboard for durability.

Don't cheap out on a PSU, get a Seasonic.