160GB HD and Controller Card: Help

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, a few weeks ago, my trusty old HD (That served me well for many many years) started giving me some Crosslinked file errors (I think I posted about that). I set it aside as a paperweight and purchased a new HD. Wanting lots of storage space, I purchased a nice 160GB HD at a local Circuit City. I knew I would likely have problems, but it said I could get a Conroller card for it. Wanting all that storage space, I purchased it.

Now, my Mobo isn't new. When my old Gateway Mobo died out, I brought it to my Instuctor at college who replaced it for me with an old Mobo that was lying around. I now have an FR520 Mobo with a Sis530 chipset. I believe it was made by American Megatrends Inc. Seeing how I couldn't seem to get the HD running, I figured I'd have to get that card. The instructions said to get an "Ultra ATA/100 PCI controller card" at store.wdc.com. I found the card, but they don't sell it anymore. They do, however have one that says "Ultra133 TX2 ATA Controller for 66Mhz PCI Bus and support for drives larger than 137 GB."

Does anyone know if there is any problem with getting this Ultra 133 over the Ultra 100 card? I just don't want to spend 46 dollars and wait for a card that doesn't work on my Grandpa Mobo. (I'm hoping to get a new job when schools start up and hopefully start building a new computer).

You could go to any local computer shop to ask for a PCI controller card. They will give you one that mostly supports ATA-100/133.

And...your FR520...it is Socket 7?

Back
Top Bottom