160 HD and Windows 2000

LegendDJ

Beta member
I just got a 160GB HD to put in my Windows 2000 Pro Computer, but my BIOS and Windows 2000 only reads it as 130, I looked for an update for my BIOS but found none, I'm partitioning it in 2000 as 130 using the Disk Man., is there any harm "data I write to it in general" using it as a 130 this way?

lol, what are you doing with 2000 with a 160GB HDD anyways? couldn't have been that much more expensive than XP :D

Why dont you just creat 2 partitions..
Since its reading it as 130 just make 2 partitions...

first with 30gb for your OS
second with 130 for everything else.

That way when you do get xp all you have to do is wipe 2000 and install XP and you wont lose a thing!

-Q

I would just partition it aswell, makes organising ya stuff easier. Ya can have a partition for music, films etc

Captain Pooka said:
lol, what are you doing with 2000 with a 160GB HDD anyways? couldn't have been that much more expensive than XP :D

Why dont you just creat 2 partitions..
Since its reading it as 130 just make 2 partitions...

first with 30gb for your OS
second with 130 for everything else.

That way when you do get xp all you have to do is wipe 2000 and install XP and you wont lose a thing!

-Q

I'm using it as a Server, how to I go about getting to the other 30GB if its only seeing 130?

Before something happens, if you have an XP disc laying around, go in the setup page where the disk installation is and see if it's the same number.

lhuser said:
Before something happens, if you have an XP disc laying around, go in the setup page where the disk installation is and see if it's the same number.

I don't have any files on the drive yet so theres no worry about that, it only reports 130

LegendDJ said:
I don't have any files on the drive yet so theres no worry about that, it only reports 130

Its a limitation from windows, normally 137Gb, sometimes caused by old BIOS, or from not having service pack 2 installed. Goto computer management and partition ya drive and ya will get it back

Back
Top Bottom