160 Hard drive showing up as 128

I just bought a 160 GB hard drive. It's made by Western Digitals and is an SE Cavier, but the disk defragger and My Computer says that it is a 128 GB hard drive. On the cover of the hard drive it says 160. Where is my other 30 GB's?!
Do you have large drive support enabled in your bios?

Maybe there being used up or you made a misktake.
If it was being "used up" it would still show in My Computer as full size.

I read on wilikpeadia XP on reconises 125GB of HDD
I don't doubt you couldn't find the article because that is just pure nonsense. My 320GB drive under Windows XP 32bit

disksizegi8.jpg

You never get the full capacity of your hardrives....
I have dual 250 gig hardrives and with both drives i only get about 232 Gig from each of them
You do get full capacity it is just that manufacturers use 1000kb as a MB instead of 1024 which leads to the anomaly, I believe Seagate has recently offered a cash back to customers because of this as it can be viewed as false advertising.

:)

Do you have large drive support enabled in your bios?

If it was being "used up" it would still show in My Computer as full size.

I don't doubt you couldn't find the article because that is just pure nonsense. My 320GB drive under Windows XP 32bit

disksizegi8.jpg

You do get full capacity it is just that manufacturers use 1000MB as a GB instead of 1024 which leads to the anomaly, I believe Seagate has recently offered a cash back to customers because of this as it can be viewed as false advertising.

:)

Do you have other partitions.

Do you have other partitions.

Doesn't matter. It's called formatting loss, space is always taken up for the partition table, MBR and Boot sectors. You will NEVER get full capacity of the drive. That is why every 250 HDD I have seen always reads as 232 GB. It's the loss of space from formatting and partitions, and the diferences between the OS and Manufacturer's deffinition of 1 gig.

there is formatting loss but its just a couple of KB. the reason a 250 is 232 is because windows reads a MB has 1024KB, while HDD manufactures set the size with a MB equal to 1000KB

also, both the manafactuer and windows read 1GB as the same, its the MB they read differently.

also to fix your problem go to www.seagate.com and download there large HDD enabler, then go to the control panel>administrative tools>computer managemnet. then go to the thing about disk manager and format the rest of the HD you can see. if you want to combine the partitions dowload partition magic (google it) and you can combine them.

He aactually has more space availabel. Right click on My Computer and select Manage. In the Disk management, look for your 128GB partition. Next to it, there should be a black label with unpartitioned space. Partition and format it.

Lol, obviously it doesnt use up all the space when formatted. Usually it should be about 140gb maybe you just got a bad one that only got 128.

Lol, obviously it doesnt use up all the space when formatted. Usually it should be about 140gb maybe you just got a bad one that only got 128.

its because he doesnt have a large HDD enabler yet, w\o it XP wont read anything higher than 128gb, SP2 will however, but you have to format another partition afterwards.

He aactually has more space availabel. Right click on My Computer and select Manage. In the Disk management, look for your 128GB partition. Next to it, there should be a black label with unpartitioned space. Partition and format it.

Do I select primary or extended?

choose a primary, ive never noted a difference, other than you can format the first one without formatting the second one if you choose primary.

Back
Top Bottom