15 laptop computer lab

Skult

Beta member
I'm setting up a computer lab for an e-learning classroom. I need 15 Laptops, a server and a wireless access point. Money isn't really an option as long as I don't have something ridiculous. The internet into the building is fiber optic.

What I'm going for is ease of service. Meaning, I want to be able to easily fix whatever goes wrong. These are teenagers using these computers, some with learning difficulties and behavioral issues so something may get full of water, thrown, stepped on and knifed. In that order.

Having a computer that can withstand that isn't the issue. But being able to return a dead unit to a manufacturer or distributer would be clutch. Just wondering what you guys think I should buy.

P.s. Your wet dream Laptops would at least help me decide what is ridiculous.

Dell has really good service manuals freely available on their website. Dealing with their customer service people hasn't been too bad in my experience. The machines themselves haven't been too difficult to work on so far either. Why laptops, though? Desktops would be cheaper to buy and repair...

It's what the students want. Theres also no good way to run cable throughout the building so wireless it is.

It's what the students want. Theres also no good way to run cable throughout the building so wireless it is.

Should you really be letting kids with learning difficulties and behavioral issues make decisions on computer hardware? You can always get wireless NICs for desktops. I hear you, though. You probably just don't want to have to hear all the complaining.

Back
Top Bottom