1394 firewire doesnt recognise external harddrive

kje

Beta member
1394 firewire is active and running properly on my laptop (Dell Latitude E6400), but why doesnt it recognise my external harddrive? (This was not a problem a year ago!) It doesn`t show up in diskmanagement. I know my external harddrive is ok, and I also tried my soundcard through this firewire port without success. (It recogized both my soundcard and external harddrive a year ago!) I`ve tried update drivers to 1394 but didn`t find better drivers than already installed. I`ve tried reboot as well... Can anyone help me?

Unfortunately, the only thing I can suggest, is try another cable. I had a similar problem with USB at one time, and simply changing to another cable remedied the issue.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can suggest, is try another cable. I had a similar problem with USB at one time, and simply changing to another cable remedied the issue.

The fan in my external harddrive starts working when I connect the firewire cable to the laptop, but it doesn`t show up in "my computer"... What can I do?

I'd suggest trying the HDD in another computer/laptop, as a method of diagnostics. Try another cable, too, if you haven't already.

Failing them two, I'd say either a fault of the HDD itself (not good) or something awry in the OS (fixable).

If you're familiar with computer innards and HDDs, then you could try removing the HDD from the enclosure and use it within a computer, which also would be a method of diagnostics, but something tells me this is a method you're not gonna wanna remotely think about.

Unfortunately, I have no more ideas, ATM.

EDIT:

Oh, something came to mind... check your 1394 thing is enabled within the BIOS of your laptop; it probably is, but it's worth a shot.

One more idea comes to mind... it could be something simple, such as you haven't installed drivers for 1394, which is probably easy enough to do. Check the Device Manager (if it's Windows) and check that the driver for it (the 1394 connection, not your HDD) is OK.

I think this is brand new external drive that's never been hooked up before? If so you'll need to partition and format it in disk management.

See if the drive shows up in disk management and see if it is "foreign". If it is, you should be able to import it.

Back
Top Bottom