12Volt Car battery was too weak to watch videos on lap top?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
12Volt Car battery was too weak to watch videos on lap top?

I spend the weekends on my boat weather permitting so my LT is used for TV/video.

I use this connected to the boat or tow vehical 12V socket to power LT.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TOFK2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the current LT battery is charged at only 6%(even when plugged into 12v socket) I can watch only for a few minutes maybe upto half hour of recorded TV stored on flash drive then LT turns off message concider replacing battery.

?1. Why is 12Volt Car battery too weak to watch videos on lap top LT operates on 10.4v?

just received new battery it was charged to 69%
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Superb-C...0-5733-5741-5742-5750-Laptop-Battery/38269430

?2.Is it necessary to condition(run down to 0%) lithium ion lap top battery?
If yes how many times?

?3. should play videos w/ only LT battery wait till x% of drainage then plug into 12v socket?

I've never had much luck w/ batteries any tips for me is appercheated.
STB

Last edited:
Is that 40W adapter high enough power for your laptop? What are the specs of the regular power adapter for the LT? 40W seems on the low end to me, my LT uses a 67Watt power adapter. I've seen many laptops that use a 90W adapter.

I would suspect the power adapter you are using before the car battery.

Check your car battery voltage. A fully charged vehicle battery should read between 12.8 and 13 volts off charge. If you have charged the battery shortly before you take the voltage readings let it stand for a half hour before taking the readings. A half charged battery will read 12.5 volts and anything below 12.2 volts is more or less a knackered battery. I know that sounds fanciful but those are battery facts. I have had a boat for 10 years now that has leisure batteries so I have been doing it for a while. Also even with good batteries fully charged, laptop power supplies eat battery capacity. They do not stay charged for long. If your battery is over five years old I would consider buying a new battery and if you do that insist that that supplier does a drop voltage test before you buy. Stored batteries also deteriorate quite quickly.

What pete said. It doesn't take much to bring it up to 12V but no capacity yet. The capacity comes from the amps so a fully charged battery will have 350 or more amps in it.

I am wondering what size the 12 volt battery is and weather it is a car battery or a deep cycle battery. And what it really says what the amp hrs it is/ And if possible how old it is. Don't pay any attention what cold cranking amps it has but the actually amps the battery can put out before needing recharging at say 12.5 volts. If it is a wet cell battery you don't want to discharge the battery more than 50% as if you kill it before charging it reduces the life of the battery.

there is nothing wronge w/ the less than a year old 12V DC marine battery

I think the problem is the lap tops battery

"the current LT battery is charged at only 6%(even when plugged into 12v socket) I can watch only for a few minutes maybe upto half hour of recorded TV stored on flash drive then LT turns off message concider replacing battery."

I use the LT at home plugged into the 12VAC even w/ old LT battery at 6%
I can watch as much video as I like.

when LT w/ it's battery at 6% is plugged into the 12VDC socket this is when the boats marine 12VDC battery won't allow me to watch videos very long.

This is what confusses me can watch w/ 120VAC which is converted to I think 10.5VDC w/ the AC brick. can't watch very long at all w/ marine 12VDCs battery.
STB

Last edited:
You already confirmed that the laptop requires 65W and you're using a 40W adapter. Get a 65W or better adapter and your problem will be solved. Why are people going on about the battery?

You already confirmed that the laptop requires 65W and you're using a 40W adapter. Get a 65W or better adapter and your problem will be solved. Why are people going on about the battery?

ordered new 65W adapter also ordred new LT batterys one 6 cell I can watch for 3 hours 1 1/2 hour recharge time and a 9 cell mite last longer than the 6 cell.
STB

Back
Top Bottom