128bit memory vs. 256bit memory

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
I'm about an inch from buying an HD5770, I want the DX11 and speed. I also plan on CF'ing it when I get the money for a second.

Anyhow, I've seen a couple reviews that mark 128bit memory as a con, what's the difference? Is it going to decrease overclocking room? I don't even know when the memory of your video card is used that intensively though, I've overclocked mine pretty heavily before and never saw a difference :-/

The memory interface has nothing to do with overclocking.

They marked it as a con because the 256 bit can turn over twice the data in the same clock cycle, and it is most people's opinions that they should never make standard video cards with an 8 to 1 bus to memory ratio.

It slows the framebuffer down a bit basically.

The memory interface has nothing to do with overclocking.

They marked it as a con because the 256 bit can turn over twice the data in the same clock cycle, and it is most people's opinions that they should never make standard video cards with an 8 to 1 bus to memory ratio.

It slows the framebuffer down a bit basically.

But I really don't need to worry about it, right? I'm not going to order it and think "crap, I shouldn't have gotten this because of th memory interface"?

np. Got one in my brother's new rig. That thing flies through every game I can throw at it.

Great to hear, because I just bought one :D

I probably could have gotten a card that was a tad bit faster within my budget, but the DX11, crossfiring, and various ports sold me on it :)

Do you plan to do any type of EF config?

I put dual 22" monitors on my brother's and its epic. You get a much improved fov in games that have support.

Back
Top Bottom