~$1200 Conroe comp, look good?

RyanD

Baseband Member
I have most everything figured out, except for where to buy the E6600 and I could use a cheaper PSU. So here's the specs: (all from newegg)

Processor: Intel E6600 ~$350
Where's a reliable store to buy from? When will newegg have it?

Case: Antec P160 $93.99
Link to Newegg

PSU: OCZ 520watt???? $134.99
Link to newegg

Hard drive: Seagate 7200.10 250GB $79.99
Link to newegg

Burner: Nec 3550A (silver) $30.99
Link to newegg

Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 $195.99
Link to newegg

Link to newegg

Motherboard: Asus P5B (P965) $169.99
Link to newegg

OR

Abit AB9 Pro $159.99
Link to newegg

I looked at the SLI mobo, but it has this built in wifi thing or something. Its a bit spendy too, otherwise I would consider it for future graphics upgrade.

Total comes to around $1,200 with shipping. Plus or minus a bit.

I read the "Feeding the Monster" and the Abit AB9 pro reviews on anandtech, but seem to have pretty much the same overclockability/everything, except the high-resolution gameing, the Abit did slightly better. A friend says Asus, but the review tells me Abit. Which one?

As far as graphics cards, I'll get one, but not right away. This is my first build so I want to make sure everything works. I *could* spend money on the 7900 GTX, but I would rather get a card that plays new games just as well. I probably won't be doing alot of high-res gaming, but maybe in the next year when I regain part of the money I spent. What graphic card plays fairly new games really well?

The PSU I think is a bit overkill, unless I go with the 7900? I need a recomendation. Aren't Antec power supplies quiet?

I haven't ever overclocked, but I think I will give it a shot once the computer is up and running. Any changes to anything?

Thanks for your help! I plan on ordering this all the 3rd week in August, I'll be on vacation til then. Will any better mobo's come out?

Neither of those motherboards have onboard video so if you aren't going to buy an expensive one right now atleast get a cheap one. If you want one that will play games but doesn't cost a lot then get a 7600gt.

About the powersupply that is a very good one. It isn't the quietest though. If you want a quiet one then I would go with the seasonic S12-500.

Other then that your computer looks very nice.

EDIT: Oh and newegg is supposed to be getting conroes either aug. 4th or 7th cant remember, somthing like that. So when you get back from vacation newegg should have them.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I forgot to add the video card to the list- I was just going to get a 6600, but since you mentioned the 7600, I'll look into that, and the PSU.

"Bottlenecking" is when the processor isn't fast enough for the graphics card, right?
Would that happen if I stuck the 7600gt into a Pentium III/Celeron?

A PIII motherboard doesnt even have PCI-E ;) A celeron would completey bottleneck a 7600GT. Nothing bad would happen, you just wouldnt get performance you wanted. And monarch/tankguys have preorders for Conroe.

For the graphics, get a 7600GT for the best bang in price.

For the motherboard, the ABIT supports 9HDD and it is a stronger build. It seems that the ASUS has some built issues and working issues. The ABIT will save you money because the ASUS is overpriced for what it has to offer.

For the case, I am in love with it. The design looks really good.

For the PSU, it is a 520W PSU and it is good.

For the HDD, it's good, but imagine 9 times the same HDD on your PC...that's what it can hold.

For the burner...try to get it black. Otherwise, it's good.

For the Memory, you are the same as me. Demanding. It will do great on yours.

Thats in quantities of 1000 bought directly from Intel ;) Monarch has them for preorder for 340. Tigerdirect is not reliable. They are horrible if you dont get your package. Dont ever order from them. There are plenty of other retailers out there.

Back
Top Bottom