10,000rpm hdd worth the extra?

Raptors are nice, but they're just too expensive for the tiny increase in speed. The reason why Raptors only come in 37 GB or 74 GB, is because the more GB you have, the longer it takes for the drive to find the data. If you get 2 7500 RPM Hard Drives and RAID 0 them, you get lots of storage space, speed and a good price for them.

If you have the money, the best for gaming is two Sata hard drives at 10,000 in raid 0...

Just because you had some Western Digital (I'm just assuming) that died, doesn't mean that they all die after 7 months...manufacturing these days aren't perfect yet and there is always the chance of you being the lucky winner of a defect.

Wel i guess i will go with a couple of high-capacity sata2 drives and raid0 them. guess the 10k thing is mostly hype.

comments?

Well it isn't hype when you're looking for maximum performance. Raptors are usually 37 GB and 74 GB. That is for a reason. When you have a 200 GB or bigger HDD, it takes a bit longer for the drive to find a certain piece of data because it has so much to go through. That is why Raptors only have that much GB on each drive. Combine that with 10,000 RPMs and you've got really fast transfer times, which would be even faster if you RAID 0 them.

I have several old (like from 97 or 98) hard drives that work fine. But at the same time one of my western digitals crashed not long ago, but it was working alot longer than 7 months.

4 Sata is the best option, because you can do raid 0+1 and then you have speed and backup capability (safer)...

Back
Top Bottom