1 week?? too long..??

Kaylie

Baseband Member
I was just wondering if there is like a hazard for leaving your computer on. SO far i havent turned it off for about 1 week. ive given it like a couple hours now and then to hibernate. but will my computer like overheat or something. by the way i have a sony vaio.

I wouldn't really worry about it, but do a regular shut down every once in a while.Just remember to keep your pc in good shape by doing a defrag every week, another thing that alot of people don't realize is a small folder in windows, called prefetch, if you delete it's contents every 3 days you speed up your boot.

All prefetch does is store a quick access file for every program you open and use, deleting it's contents will refresh the folder and the O.S.

Peace! :D

My opinion is not to worry about it too much. You should probably hibernate it when you're not going to be using it for a log time. After all, hard drives do have a certain number of hours before they die. But like I said, don't worry about it too much, it's a really big number.;)

awesome. thanks. i did that prefetch thing.. theres so much crap in there. so basically i searched the prefetch folder, found it, just highlighted all the stuff in the folder then and deleted them. now can i just delete all of it from my recycling bin aswell?

Yep, I do this as well as a few things I've been doing for years now, it goes in order.

1.go to system tools, then do a disk cleanup on every thing that takes up space.

2.go to system tools again and do a defrag even if it says you don't need to.

3.Delete all files in windows prefetch folder.then empty trash.

4.restart.

I swear I have never had a problem with any of my systems since I've been doing this.
Peace!

I wouldn't really worry about it, but do a regular shut down every once in a while.Just remember to keep your pc in good shape by doing a defrag every week (quote)

one more thing, disable your antivirus before u defrag. then enable it when done...

deepthroat said:
Yep, I do this as well as a few things I've been doing for years now, it goes in order.

1.go to system tools, then do a disk cleanup on every thing that takes up space.

2.go to system tools again and do a defrag even if it says you don't need to.

3.Delete all files in windows prefetch folder.then empty trash.

4.restart.

I swear I have never had a problem with any of my systems since I've been doing this.
Peace!
Of Course that what i'v been doing for a long time.Just one more to add.
Selective startup,Get all that mess off the taskbar,do you really need it there ? Run C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
Is it above 90/90/90 % Mine is 95/98/98 %.hmmmm.
:D

bluto said:
Of Course that what i'v been doing for a long time.Just one more to add.
Selective startup,Get all that mess off the taskbar,do you really need it there ? Run C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
Is it above 90/90/90 % Mine is 95/98/98 %.hmmmm.
:D

wonderful. thanks!

1 week, no problem. 1 month no problem. 100 years no problem.

I have left my computer on for 10 months and 2 years prior to that. I moved about 10 months ago so I had to shut it off. I reboot when I update windows and virus software, but I still leave the power on.

My everyday computer I turn off just mostly because of the noise level by the fans.

My other computer acts as my file and web server, so I have a special room for it. Noise not a factor on that one.

Back
Top Bottom