Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #31
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fenner View Post
Yea, so what's the problem?
Sorry but I'm not compressing my DVD's with something like Divx............

You ever play these back on a big widescreen after they were compressed? They may be okay on a small computer screen but not on a high resolution large widescreen flat panel.
No way hosay..........
thats good to know
__________________

disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

Okay how do can i tell if it is a real 1TB HD or if it is 2 HDs in a RAID array?
will the box tell me or do i just use my simple observation skills and look at the thing?
clarification on this subject matter is greatly appreciated.
__________________

disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #33
In Runtime
 
Brian_Fenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoe View Post
Okay how do can i tell if it is a real 1TB HD or if it is 2 HDs in a RAID array?
will the box tell me or do i just use my simple observation skills and look at the thing?
clarification on this subject matter is greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure if the box will tell you.......
size and weight will be immediate indications. If you can open the box and look at it.........you can tell if it is two drives or one.

Don't ask the doorknob salesman..........they probably don't even know what a TB is.
__________________
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
GoldWings Rule!
Brian_Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #34
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

ive learned that the hard way
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #35
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

doesnt really matter, one or two, your still getting all your bytes and bits
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #36
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

I went and picked one of these up :P
Tinier than my other two 250 gig WD externals, and sleeek.

It had FAT32, so I tried to format it into NTFS.. it took a solid 2 hours and close to the end, it said "windows cannot format the hard drive". So I formatted it again with NTFS, using the quick method, which was successful. I was curious about why that happened, and I went into Disk Management, and tried to do a slow format from there too, but the same thing happened, and this time it said the format was "RAW" . Then I got stubborn, and put it on slow format one more, and it went right through.

Is this cause for concern? I felt like going and exchanging it, but I want to know if this could be a potential problem in the future. I would NOT want to lose 1tb of data. I've lost enough regular internal hard drives back in the day, doing sneakernet
hedniskhjartad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #37
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fenner View Post
I'm not sure if the box will tell you.......
size and weight will be immediate indications. If you can open the box and look at it.........you can tell if it is two drives or one.

Don't ask the doorknob salesman..........they probably don't even know what a TB is.
Yeah, there is another 1tb there, don't remember the exact model, but it's white, comes in a huge box, and has two hard drives in the enclosure. You'll know by the size of the box being more than double the size of the hard drive we're talking about. And when I asked the salesperson what the difference was between the two, he just said that there's no difference, that was just an older model
And when I asked him about RPM and buffer size, etc, he spent ten minutes on the computer and came back more confused than he was before.
hedniskhjartad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #38
In Runtime
 
Brian_Fenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedniskhjartad View Post
I went and picked one of these up :P
Tinier than my other two 250 gig WD externals, and sleeek.

It had FAT32, so I tried to format it into NTFS.. it took a solid 2 hours and close to the end, it said "windows cannot format the hard drive". So I formatted it again with NTFS, using the quick method, which was successful. I was curious about why that happened, and I went into Disk Management, and tried to do a slow format from there too, but the same thing happened, and this time it said the format was "RAW" . Then I got stubborn, and put it on slow format one more, and it went right through.

Is this cause for concern? I felt like going and exchanging it, but I want to know if this could be a potential problem in the future. I would NOT want to lose 1tb of data. I've lost enough regular internal hard drives back in the day, doing sneakernet
Mine formatted in NTFS right away but it does take a long time for 1TB.
I suppose they send them out as FAT32 so it supports older OS's but it would be nice if they said this so you can reformat it if you wish. FAT32 is to dang slow.
I love my 1Tb WD...........nice unit at a great price. Can't beat WD reliability for the price.
Glad to see you got one!
__________________

__________________
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
GoldWings Rule!
Brian_Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0