1.86ghz vs. 2.26ghz Worth the upgrade?

ironj221

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I currently have an Intel Centrino M 1.86ghz in my Inspiron 9300. I'm wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the 2.26ghz? Am I really going to notice much of a difference?

Thanks!

hmm.. that's actually a hard question. :D
It will give you a small performance boost, nothing major. But if it isn't expensive then I'd upgrade it.

hmm.. that's actually a hard question. :D
It will give you a small performance boost, nothing major. But if it isn't expensive then I'd upgrade it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was kind of thinking the same thing. It's looking like $150 after I sell my old processor...not sure.

It should be easy to just OC it to 2.2GHz. I wouldn't buy another CPU for a mere 400MHz jump.

True, but I've been having problems with extremely high temperatures. My graphics card just fried up and I had to replace it. I'm not overclocking either, just running the computer constantly.

I would just leave it the way it is still. Laptop always tend to run hot. Actually, people at work are saying that it's preferrable not to keep laptops running for 24 hours consistently. It's better to have it in hibernate or sleep mode should you do leave it on because of the heat issues with laptops. No matter how good they are, heat is always the enemy with these small form factors.

Oh, I should add: it's a pain to upgrade laptop CPUs. I tore my old laptop apart so I can salvage the parts. Wooo, the CPU was a pain to get to. I have to take apart layers and layers of crap including the massive heatsink/blower combo it has. There were tons of wires all over the place making access difficult. Thank goodness I'm never using that laptop again. It was a Compaq V2000 series laptop. Terrible build too. Those Turion CPUs just don't cut it.

I would just leave it the way it is still. Laptop always tend to run hot. Actually, people at work are saying that it's preferrable not to keep laptops running for 24 hours consistently. It's better to have it in hibernate or sleep mode should you do leave it on because of the heat issues with laptops. No matter how good they are, heat is always the enemy with these small form factors.

Oh, I should add: it's a pain to upgrade laptop CPUs. I tore my old laptop apart so I can salvage the parts. Wooo, the CPU was a pain to get to. I have to take apart layers and layers of crap including the massive heatsink/blower combo it has. There were tons of wires all over the place making access difficult. Thank goodness I'm never using that laptop again. It was a Compaq V2000 series laptop. Terrible build too. Those Turion CPUs just don't cut it.

I appreciate the advice!

Yeah I hear you on the mess inside of laptops. I opened mine up to transform my Inspiron 9300 hinges and covers to look like a XPS computer (I hate the white trim on the 9300s). Took a little while. :) Thanks again.

I don't really suggest overclocking laptops. Maybe a little, but a 20% oc with a laptop... I wouldn't recommend it. And yes changing the cpu can be a bit hard sometimes, but it can be done with enough patience. :p

But if it's $150 then I wouldn't bother. It's not worth that much.

And that includes the wonder if the CPU wasn't soldered in, keeping it from future upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom