Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default 1 of 3 Harddrives causing a short in my system. Why?

A few days ago I went to turn on my computer and nothing happened. I mean nothing. Total Power failure. I take my Power Box and have the voltage checked. It was dead. Easy fix right? Well sort of. I put the power box in and and bamb.. nothing. No Power again. So I have the new one tested. It tested fine. So I gutted the computer all but the memory and cpu and it started. I plugged in my cards one by one and started it each time. Moved to my Hard Drives and the first one that I plugged in was my C: Drive. It worked. The I plugged in my F: ( the one that I store just about everything on ) and capute. Nothing happened. I unplugged the F: drive and still nothing. So I waited about 2 minutes tried again and it started up fine. I repeated this step about 4 times and the exact same thing happened.

Now its fairly obvious that my F: Drive is somehow causing a short in my system. Heres my question:

Why? LOL. Simple question with an infinate amount of possible answers I'm sure.

I really dont want to lose this drive so if you Computer Techs could lend me some knowledge it would be much appreciated.

RAISETOWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: 1 of 3 Harddrives causing a short in my system. Why?

I've had this happen before for unknown reasons.

Whats the resistance between the 12 and ground, and 5 and ground, and two grounds on your hard drive?

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Did you use the same plug (IDE-SATA?? you don't say which) each time you plugged the drive in? It could just be a faulty cable, can you try a different one?

Does this occur when the F: drive is the only drive connected? (Try different plugs/cables here as well)
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

I had the same problem. The cause for me was, I had 2 hard drives touching eachother, metal to metal. I couldn't fit all my hard drives in there so I made it fit, but 2 were touching and shorting the computer. I moved it away from the other hard drive and I was golden.
(My Computer) Antec900 Case, E8400 OC'd @ 3.83GHz, TuniqTower 120, 4GB 6400 DDR2 850MHz (Corsair XMS2), EVGA 9800GTX Superclocked 770/2300, 620W Corsair PSU, x2 WD500GB RAID 0, WD250GB, EVGA 680i SLI Mobo, Vista Home Premium 64Bit
Jason8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
Did you use the same plug (IDE-SATA?? you don't say which) each time you plugged the drive in? It could just be a faulty cable, can you try a different one?

Does this occur when the F: drive is the only drive connected? (Try different plugs/cables here as well)
Well the IDE cable connections for two drives. I've switched them up between the C and F drives and also used both connections on the C drive by itself and both work fine when only the C drive is connected.

I'll try a new one to see if the problem may be in the cable but it doesnt seem to be.

Anymore thoughts are welcome.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Solid State Member

I'm not sure what you mean?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAISETOWIN View Post
I'm not sure what you mean?
I think maybe he had the pcb of one drive touching the metal case of the other drive, ergo short.

I presume you've looked at the IDE socket pins on the F: drive and they're all OK?
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Can i just suggest that you reset the BIOS, its the most basic step but it solves alot of problems mate.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post

Hey this might be what I need to look at. Because my drives are like jammed in there. I'm gonna try this.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Can i just suggest that you reset the BIOS, its the most basic step but it solves alot of problems mate.
How do I reset the BIOS. With a jumper. Is it labeled BIOS reset.