Go Back   Computer Forums > Web Design | Website Development > General Hosting
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default need help redirecting a registered domain name to one of our IIS servers....

hey all,

we have a registered domain name that is not in use at all...we have a website almost completely created for it that is stored on one of our servers and now i need to configure that domain name to open that website but dont know how.

details:

one of our servers is running our companies website, w2k server running IIS 5 i think, or 6, dont remember....we have another server (same setup) that is hosting our client portal login. the site is running but you can only get to it internally and using UNC in the address bar. i first created that website as a virtual folder on IIS, then i created a new website and used the "not is use" domain name in IIS. now when i change the script on our company website to have a link that points to this web portal, it obviously works internally, but i need to A. setup our web portal to take on the domain name we have registered but not in use, and B. need to point that link on our companies website to the that domain name for outside clients....for ex. we have smith.com as our domain, i need clients to be able to type in smith.com and bring up all the pages for the web portal on our server....and also go to our company website, click the link for smith.com and have the web portal open.....if anyone has any info for me or can point me in the right direction, would appreciate it...thanks! and if i confused anyone, let me know!

jime0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
In Runtime

Sounds like you need a DNS server, this site offers free DNS service:
http://www.zoneedit.com/

Just in case you don't know what DNS is...
Quote:
Domain Name Server (or system) An Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses.
www.lsoft.com/resources/glossary.asp

Old 08-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: need help redirecting a registered domain name to one of our IIS servers....

we actually have 2 dns servers setup in our office....it seems we have a public IP address we bought that is for our web portal, and we have this domain name that we bought also. the domain name record is on the site we purchased that name from but how do i connect the domain name and the IP address? and how can i integrate that with the web pages already created thats stored on the web portal server? thanks for the help!
jime0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Default Re: need help redirecting a registered domain name to one of our IIS servers....

Set the name servers for your domin in your domain register