Go Back   Computer Forums > Web Design | Website Development > General Hosting
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default How to make my Web Site available in XP

I have a web site that I would like to host (Still under construction) sat on my XP workstation, I know its not exactly a server but it is quite a powerfull machine and I only want to learn how to do it!!
Thing is I have a D-link router which has an IP of and my PC gets given an IP address of 192.168.0.*** (gets given same IP from the router every time it boots) through DHCP. The router is connected to my broadband cable modem.
Because these are private IP's which dont belong on the external world wide web, how do I make my web site (where im usung IIS services) available to you all?

gsalmon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to EVILISCIOUS Send a message via MSN to EVILISCIOUS
Default Re: How to make my Web Site available in XP

Hi, this is possible. I'll explain how can you can host your website from your Windows XP PC. I assume you have Professional edition of Windows XP. Keep your Windows XP CD handy. Here we go

You need to install microsoft's IIS (Internet information services) on your PC. This is included on your Windows XP disk. To install it, insert your Windows XP cd & open up the Windows XP Control Panel.

Open up Add/Remove Programs. Click on the Add/Remove Windows Components tab. In the Window's Component's wizard, find and select Internet Information Services (IIS). Click on next & complete the installation.

Now, you'll have a folder in your c drive
C:/Inetpub. Open it up, you'll see another folder wwwroot. wwwroot is the folder where your website files go. Open it up & paste your entire website content there. Don't touch the other files which are previously there such as iisstart.asp.

Now the next step is to register your IP as a nameserver on the internet. This is free, but to do so you will need a Dedicated IP. You probably have one since you use DSL. You can register the nameserver at your domain registrar. The nameserver pattern would be

IP of the nameserver will be the IP of your PC!
To determine your IP, visit whatismyip.com

You are all set and good to go
EVILISCIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote