1. What makes a good hosting company? - To satisfy a customer to their extreme.
2. How can a hosting company guarantee 99.9% uptime? - By the reports from their datacenter network and power uptime.
3. Can an SSL from one server be moved to a new hosting company b4 it is up for renewal with no extra charge? - Yes
4. I have a front panel on my hosting company that allows me to pretty well do everything from changing my p/ws, adding on new users, adding on all my e-mail addresses, it gives me good web stats, I can add on the DB in the middle of the night if I need to & much more. - We have cpanel that can do alot more than this
Should I expect this as the "norm" when it comes to hosting these days? - Good support, fast servers and no downtime
5. What kind of backbone should I expect from a good hosting company in order for it to be up 99.9% of the time? - oc3-oc192 connections
6. Should I expect a spam program like Spam Assasin to be already implemented? - Can be enabled by user or implimented if asked for
7. Does anyone know of a hosting company that already has Urchin in place? - Urchin we have
8. How many techis are there usually in a good hosting company? - A few, but we hire the big guys to watch on our server 24/7
9. Should they be available 24/7? - Impossible, unless through the means of email sending etc, or if was that extreme that you need a mobile number.