Benefits from hosting own server?

Well. I'm stilling looking for ideas. File storage is my main focus. Was thinking about getting a server for a maximum of 200 dollars

First lets look at a fundamental question. "what is a server".

a server is a machine that hosts a software service.

yes you can get fancy rack mounted servers, and you can get kits to take those rack mounted servers and add feet to them and put them on their side, the word server typically conjures up images of very high spec machines, running in rows of racks in a data centre...

but rewind a little here.

you already have a workstation running windows, all versions of windows can share files, which is all your basic network file server is going to do.
All versions of windows can run apache, which is a web servers
All versions of windows can run MySQL (a database server)
All versions of windows can run FTP servers for external file access (and there are plenty of free ones).

why not just play with some software on your desktop machine first and get an idea of what you need and what you actually use before you spend any money.

(also, with no idea of what a server is, or what you can do with it or what you want to do with it, how did you decide on a budget?!)

i've never had the need to run my own server. not that my internet connection could manage a high traffic site anyway. :p i've always went with shared hosting or a vps.

Well if you mainly want it for storage space, you don't really have to use win server... win 7 and 8 will do file sharing just as if you had a server.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom