Go Back   Computer Forums > General Electricals
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default whats that sound?

when I shut down my computer, after it has completely turned off i get this high pitched buzzing noise that goes away when I unplug it. The noise is related to the on board Ethernet because when I unplug the Ethernet cable the sound changes, and when i unplug the power cord the buzzing continues for a few seconds (gradually getting quieter as if a battery or capacitor was discharging) and when it stops the lights on the NIC go out.....but when I plug it back in the lights come back on but no buzzing???? The sound **appears to be coming from the motherboard around the CPU...others have told me its common and its the copper coils...but i'm not sure.

Any ideas?

harmankardon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: whats that sound?

This could be a number of things, such as dirty power/ static electricity / electrical feilds around pc speakers / a dis charge of electrical power as you said. It's sometimes hard to determine what can cause it, it sometimes could be as simple as getting a power strip that eliminates static electrical charges around it.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mr mixx~
This could be a number of things, such as dirty power/ static electricity / electrical feilds around pc speakers / a dis charge of electrical power as you said. It's sometimes hard to determine what can cause it, it sometimes could be as simple as getting a power strip that eliminates static electrical charges around it.
exactly...

it could also be a sign of a failing powersupply, my friends did this for a month and then it blew on him, but im not for sure thats what it is, i would do what mixx says, and get a power strip, get a nice one though, get what they call a power conditioner, this will filter bad power out and get rid of the little dips and spikes in the power that go un noticed but can cause damage to your equipment, I.E. when your A/C or heat comes on sometimes you'll see the lights go down real quick, those little dips can cause major damage to computer components or anything plugged in over time.
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

It could be your monitor,It happens to me sometimes,Even when the computer is off i get an annoying High pitched squeel until i turn off the monitor.