Video Camera

wiktorek01

Daemon Poster
I would like to know how to transport movies from my camcorder onto my computer. I already have the usb cable and all, but I do not know how to transfer the video.
It is a Sony DCR-TRV27 Mini DV Digital Handycam

Thanx..

wiktorek01 said:
I would like to know how to transport movies from my camcorder onto my computer. I already have the usb cable and all, but I do not know how to transfer the video.
It is a Sony DCR-TRV27 Mini DV Digital Handycam

Thanx..
Get the manual out and turn to page 169, here you will find full details on what you want to do. If you do not have your manual, go here and download it...
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DCRTRV27

You'll find with DV cameras, the USB slot will only be for taking pictures off you have took with it. (no video)

It'll more than likely have a Firewire port (will only work to do video) to take the video off onto computer using any editing package (Windows Movie Maker for example)

If you don't have a firewire port, which you'll need, you can buy one for about £20 from somewhere which will add into a PCI slot into your PC, and al you'll need to do is fit it, and let windows sort it out if its new, or just install drivers if its an older one.

You will then be set to start transferring the video (I guess you got a firewire cable with your DV cam :) )

I hope this helps :)

Kage said:
You'll find with DV cameras, the USB slot will only be for taking pictures off you have took with it. (no video)

Actually, some do allow video... My Sony has a USB option where it can capture like 352x240 video from USB... Newer ones probably do better, but I'd still NEVER use USB unless there was no way to get yourself firewire...

Ah right, sorry about that. i just assumed since ones at college only transport pictures you take on them from usb. Firewire would definetly be faster, and better quality it seems too since more data can be sent through at a time (which makes that excellent DV resoloution possible)

So if I were you, i'd get one. I mean, you can even buy a card that will give you a firewire, plus some usb 2 ports too :)

kage was wrong?? haha. Yeah i agree definately i used a usb cord once. And the video was worse than what i can get with my webcam!

so I wasn't exactly wrong :p I just got the facts a bit mixed up :D
It is better to use firewire though, and since wiktorek01 has tried the usb and it hasn't come up with an automatic box saying 'what do you want to do now?', his DV cam might be the ones at my college, whereas only Firewire will work for video, and anything stored on the memory (pics) will be seen as an external drive or something.

and yes rdcmmnst, i can be wrong about things too you know :p

it just seems like everywhere else you are it's always right. Do you run a computer lab at your college your always on this forum. Haha. Do you recommend any others?

I'm on computers all the time in college. I'm in an E-media course, so I tend to have it on in the background (it does distract me a bit, but I get with work). I'm only in college Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays though. Though I have alot fo work coming up in the last 3 weeks, but i'll find time for this place :)

Well done Wiktorek01! Are you going to get a firewire card then?

Back
Top Bottom