Strange problem with micro sd card

alucard10

Baseband Member
I bought a "PNY 64GB micro sd card" and when I put it in my desktop computer it said I have to format it ,so I clicked on the format botton and it said somthing like "windows could not format it"(it did the same thing for my laptop).

I have "sandisk" 32GB and 16GB micro sd cards (as well as other brands) and they work just fine in the pc and the laptop without being formatted just like flash drives do.
I know that micro sd cards need to be formatted for use in tablets and smartphones but this has never been needed before On my desktop computer and laptop when using the many other micro sd cards I have.

All the micro sd cards I have work in my laptop and desktop computers without formatting just like a standard flashdrive but this PNY sd card does not.

I bought the "PNY 64GB micro sd card" to expand the storage on my laptop and to replace the "Sandisk 32GB micro sd card" that is currently clicked into the sd slot of my laptop (I've been using the Sandisk 32GB card as long term storage expansion for my laptop, it works just fine and inter changes with the desktop computer just fine like a flash drive).
I wonder why the PNY 64GB card is not doing the same and working?

My big question is.
What is causing this?
Is it because it's "PNY" instead of "Sandisk"?
Is it because 32GB and 16GB micro sd cards dont need to be formatted for laptops and pc computers but 64GB micro sd cards do?
Is it because the PNY 64GB sd card I bought is a dud?

If I walk into a store tomorrow and buy a "Sandisk 64GB micro sd card" will it work on my laptop and desktop computers like the 32GB cards that I have do? or are all 64GB cards different somehow?

P.S.
I got this one because there were no sandisk 64GB cards at the walmart I was at and the PNY 64 was only 24 dollars.

I prefer the USB PNY thumb drives over micro sd cards. I tried transferring some pictures onto my laptop and had problems too. I'm not sure why It wouldn't let me copy over some pictures onto my hhd.

I picked up a 64 gig PNY thumb drive at Walmart for $12 dollars and it was USB 3. If you can't resolve your problem I would invest into a USB thumb drive for storage.

Most likely the card reader you're using only supports SD & SDHC specification cards. The SDHC spec supports cards up to 32GB. For cards greater than 32GB, your system needs to support the SDXC spec.

You guy make some points.
I didnt think of that that. The window xp laptop and windows xp desktop I have work with 64GB flash drives but maybe it's a different story for micro sd cards?

I guess I should hold off on buying and trying the sandisk 64 or 128 GB micro sd cards on these computers?

I prefer the USB PNY thumb drives over micro sd cards. I tried transferring some pictures onto my laptop and had problems too. I'm not sure why It wouldn't let me copy over some pictures onto my hhd.

I picked up a 64 gig PNY thumb drive at Walmart for $12 dollars and it was USB 3. If you can't resolve your problem I would invest into a USB thumb drive for storage.

I would feel inclined to agree with this fella. Micro SD cards are great and small, but USB sticks are far more convenient for storage and much less likely to run into compatibility issues.

To me, it's not a matter of preference, they both have different uses. I use a thumb drive for transferring data between machines or for booting from to use tools and such. It pretty much replaces the function of a floppy disk drive for me. A microSD card is generally used for semi-permanent storage on devices such as a phone or a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom