Sony v. NEC

Like I've mentioned before, the difference between 1080p and 720p is very small if you're using this from a distance. I'm not going to use this as a full time computer monitor, and Time Warner Cable only delivers high definition content in 720p in my area.

Anyone else want to offer their two cents?

I agree. I've only ever bought 720p for everyone in my family because the difference is VERY negligible. Very. Unless you are using BluRay or PS3, you really can't tell the difference...at least, I can't. And not with normal viewing things anyways.

The sony looks cheaper so couldn't you buy an extended warranty to match NEC with the difference?

The one I listed below is the same price.

I agree. I've only ever bought 720p for everyone in my family because the difference is VERY negligible. Very. Unless you are using BluRay or PS3, you really can't tell the difference...at least, I can't. And not with normal viewing things anyways.

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/96/htf_imgcache_23283.gif

It all depends. If I were to buy a television above 32", I'd pay for 1080p. Anything below shouldn't make a huge difference.

Edit: Add to the fact that there aren't any more choices from NEC in this size range. If I wanted 1080p, I'd have to upgrade to their 40" monitor.

Yeah. Well see, even for me, at a further distance 1080 doesn't matter because I have no 1080 signals. The only one I could use would be my computer, but I don't play games on my TV. So...with no BluRay or PS3 (or HD satellite package), having a 1080p TV would be pointless. I have to say, though, when I took my 42" plasma (Samsung) to college, I was in a big city and they had digital broadcasting in HD. It was PRESTINE. I don't think I could have been able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080p (this is the first time I'd seen an HD signal on my /own/ TV). It's just all about the user preference I guess. I went into Best Buy a LOT to browse before I made my purchase online.

I live far enough from Los Angeles where I am forced to subsribe to cable service in order to receive local channels. Over the air doesn't work in my area.

Ahh. Well, I'm just saying that at college was the first "HD" signal I'd seen on the TV and it looked amazing. I don't think I could have told it apart from a 1080 TV.

If I ever planned on getting a PS3 or HD Satellite package(s), then maybe I would have purchased a 1080p TV, but I just couldn't justify the price. I mean, extra $$ for BluRay & the movies, PS3 is expensive along with the games, and then an HD satellite package is expensive too. It just wouldnt've been economical for my family. We can survive just fine with 720. Which is why I said it really is up to user preference. If you DO want/have all that HD stuff, then maybe 1080p is worth (potentially) paying more for (in this case, the $$ are equal for the most part, though).

To figure out if you want 1080P or not just taking your screen size times 1.5. In example say you have a 30" display. 30 X 1.5 = 45" or 3.75 feet. This means you would have to be closer than 3.75 feet to really notice a difference between 720P & 1080P.

Personally I'd go with the Bravia because NEC to me is more of a business class product and the Bravia would be a better home solution for your movies and TV.

Take the money you save with the Bravia and buy a nice external drive to save all your shows & movies or just pocket it.

Take the money you save with the Bravia and buy a nice external drive to save all your shows & movies or just pocket it.
The price is basically the same. Both are around the 600 dollar range. Thanks for your input.

Edit: Wow, look at this.

82765242.png

Back
Top Bottom