Smartphone videos upside down (when I put them on my laptop comuter)

alucard10

Baseband Member
I have a samsung express 3 ,when I first got it I tested the video camera a little bit with no problems.

Today I filmed 2 videos and one of them is fine but the other looks normal only on the smartphone screen but when I put it on my laptop it is upside down. After that I did some test videos and a lot of them come out upside down when I save them to my laptop and watch them on vlc.

(This problem is frustrating because I like saving my videos and photos to flash drives and my computer so I can keep them.)

1-Why is my smartphone doing this?

2-Is there something I can do to make the smartphone stop doing this or am I just going to have the fix the videos every time they do this?

3-If this glitch is unavoidable then What's the best way to to rotate the video file back to normal on a computer?,How do you fix the problem on a computer?

I'm assuming you're taking the video in landscape mode. When you tilt the phone, is the bottom of the phone to the right or the left? The generally accepted "norm" is having the button to the right side.

I suspect Quicktime Player is able to rotate videos, I haven't done this for a while though.

Thanks Your right joedaman633 .through further test I just figured this out right before coming back here and reading your post. I just assumed the smartphone could be held any old way.

Update: I think I figured It out.

Even though it always looks normal on the smartphone screen, If you film with the volume buttons facing down the video will be fine but If you film with the volume buttons facing up
the video will be upside down when you put it on the computer. Even though it rights itself for viewing on the smart phone screen ,the incorrect orientation of the smartphone itself during filming was what was causeing the footage to be upside down when veiwed on a computer.

This was out of left field.

Sounds about right. It's through no fault of your own, it's actually logical for the volume buttons to be at the top as on many phones you can use them to actually take the video!

Back
Top Bottom