Go Back   Computer Forums > General Electricals
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Question about smartphone and tablet screens

On older or cheaper smartphones and tablets I noticed a type of screen that for example on the uniden tablet looked good in landscape mode but in portrait mode looked blurry and out of focus. On the cheap or old smartphones it's the opposite,portrait mode looks good and landscape mode looks blurry and out of focus.

I suspect this is because tablets are more used for viewing media in landscape mode but smartphones are meant to be used more in portrait mode.

(note-another idiosyncrasy of this type of screen is when you tilt it one way it goes dark and when you tilt it the other way it turns light and washed out).

What kind of screen Is this that am I describing?
I want to know because I want to avoid this type of screen ,because I'm thinking about getting a cheapo android prepaid smartphone and I want to be able to watch videos and read articles in landscape mode without hurting my eyes.

P.S.
(I noticed the fire 7 tablet and the LG K7 smartphone look good in both landscape and portait mode.what kind of screen do they have? liquid crystal or something?)

alucard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Question about smartphone and tablet screens

They are all liquid crystal. The difference is how the pixels are laid out. IPS are an lod type that arespect fairly bright and have decent viewing angles. Their strong point is the refresh rate. AMOLED screens use organic compounds and are generally brighter with higher view angles. Other types are TN (low view angles but very high refresh rates) probably what you see has trouble with any angle other than straight on. And VA much better viewing angles and highest contrast and deepest blacks the weakness is refresh rate.

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: Question about smartphone and tablet screens

It's hard to explain. Heres one of the tablets that look normal in landscape mode
,but in portrait mode has a blurry glarey magnifying glass effect.
https://www.handsetdetection.com/pro...Uniden/UTAB430

It's gotta be some sort of different screen than the fire 7. The fire 7 does not wash out if you tilt it and it looks normal in landscape and portrait mode.
alucard10 is offline   Reply With Quote