PS3 vs Wii

I think the Wii needs a game that takes place in the gym, and you can use tons of gym equipment that requires you to jump around and go ape with the controller. This could be a weight loss solution! :cool:

Although bench pressing the controller might be a little weird.

^Mike^ said:
I think the Wii needs a game that takes place in the gym, and you can use tons of gym equipment that requires you to jump around and go ape with the controller. This could be a weight loss solution! :cool:

Although bench pressing the ctroller might be a little weird.
*looks at gut* yeah.. I could probably use the workout :p

MikeReiner said:
The ps3's blu-ray probably will fail. Sony tries to make new formats of their own.. over and over and over.. they tried with their walkmans, their PSP, and now the PS3...

The way I look at it is, what if you had a blu-ray disc with a lot of your information on it that you backed up from your PC? that ONE disc... if you lost it or it got destroyed or w/e... thats a lot of stuff to lose.. whereas one cd or one dvd even, is no where near as much. *shrugs*

I'll be getting a 360 personally.. when the prices drops. Nothing on the PS3 has enticed me, and even though i was disappointed in halo2, i'll probably end up with halo3 anyway.. (not to mention gears of war!)
considering that they still make great lan party games (had one two nights ago, so fun)

The only good multiplayer game i've ever seen on the PS2 is socom.. but even then, I don't like the game much. Maybe when the PS3 is $200 in a few years.

They will boast and go and on about how their systems can do so much.. meh, I use my PC and my Modded xbox for that crap, all I want out of a new game console is, well, games. If I could get a stripped down version of the 360 which is guaranteed to play all 360 games and still have some backwards compatability with old xbox games, yet not have all that extra media crap I don't care for.. i'd go for it.

this is about the most dumb argument i've heard "oh sony keeps making a lot of formats, so i think that blu ray will fail"

your second argument is even worse than the first one "if you lost a blu-ray or broke it you would loose more" well, no shit, the more information on a device the more of loss it will be if it is broken. i could say that about flash drives, should we start carrying floppy drives again. hell if anything this "argument" just proves that a blu-ray would be worth more than a cd-rom or a dvd. the discs cost like $30 so im sure if you bought one and put all your backup on it, you'd keep it safe.

and your final argument "oh they will boast about how much their systems can do" why the f would they not boast? they just spent billions of dollars on it and made a damn good system, and possibly a replacement for some media center PCs. if your ideology is to settle for less than why don't you just go play solitaire on a p3 pc.

Kage said:
Sony produces Blu-ray though, so games could still be released using it.

Its like the UMD discs for the PSP. They failed to produce movies, because no one wanted them, but they still produce games on them.

Blu-Ray is actually under the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The board of directors consists of:

Apple Computer
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Hitachi
LG Electronics
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Home Video Inc.

So all those companies decide how the format should come out. Sony doesn't decide it all. As for games, all PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs. The thing though is that only some need the space. Resistance: The Fall of Man is about 16GB, but some other games like Genji: Days of the Blade, could EASILY fit on a normal DVD. So if Blu-Ray fails, it'll be like the UMD. It won't completely die out as games still need it, but it's essentially useless as a whole media format.

alvino said:
Blu-Ray is actually under the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The board of directors consists of:

Apple Computer
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Hitachi
LG Electronics
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Home Video Inc.

So all those companies decide how the format should come out. Sony doesn't decide it all. As for games, all PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs. The thing though is that only some need the space. Resistance: The Fall of Man is about 16GB, but some other games like Genji: Days of the Blade, could EASILY fit on a normal DVD. So if Blu-Ray fails, it'll be like the UMD. It won't completely die out as games still need it, but it's essentially useless as a whole media format.

yeah they really should take it step by step, i think if it were up to sony alone, they would market it first as a solution for bigger next gen games, and then ease it into the PC market.

the funniest thing will be when hybrid drives are released. im sure companies like hitachi and lg (which i heard will be manufacturing hybrid drives) will be pressured by the other blu-ray supporting companies.

does anybody have a list of the hd-dvd supporters, the ony ones i can think off the top of my head are ms and toshiba, but i cant remember the movie studios.

Hmm...I think HD-DVD is headed by the DVD Forum. They decided that it should be the HDTV variant of the DVD. These are the current supporters of HD-DVD:

Wikipedia said:
Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Intel, among others. In terms of major studios, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios, New Line Cinema, The Weinstein Company (through Genius Products), Image Entertainment and is non-exclusively backed by Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros.,Warner Music Group, Magnolia Pictures[20], Brentwood Home Video, Ryko, Koch/Goldhil Entertainment[21], and Studio Canal.

As for hybrid drives, NEC and VidaBox are developing dual-format/hybrid optical drives. I think Ricoh was also developing an optical drive that supported both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Lol:

"Sony executive Phil Harrison has made some brash comments about the Cell processor and the PlayStation 3.

Harrison says that the current PS3 game lineup is using less than half of the machines power, adding that 'nobody will ever use 100 percent of its capacity.' Is he right? 'The major reason Harrison wants to hype up the "unlimited" potential of the PS3's architecture is to downplay comparisons between games running on Sony's console and Microsoft's Xbox 360. The two systems are not completely dissimilar: they both contain a PowerPC core running at 3.2 GHz, both have similarly-clocked GPUs, and both come with 512 MB of RAM."

Wow, the PS3 already look super good the way it is. If that statement's true, I can't wait to see it at its full potential.

wow...i think i might win a ps3 or a wii (probably a ps3 if i get picked). bigdog106...a radio station in south-east texas (rock/metal) is giving away a ps3 or a wii to people who sign up. you can sign up once a day; i've been doing so for a few weeks now, so i think i might have a pretty good change of winning. today is the day the winner will be announced...5PM central time. i hope i win........

Zaki said:
this is about the most dumb argument i've heard "oh sony keeps making a lot of formats, so i think that blu ray will fail"

your second argument is even worse than the first one "if you lost a blu-ray or broke it you would loose more" well, no shit, the more information on a device the more of loss it will be if it is broken. i could say that about flash drives, should we start carrying floppy drives again. hell if anything this "argument" just proves that a blu-ray would be worth more than a cd-rom or a dvd. the discs cost like $30 so im sure if you bought one and put all your backup on it, you'd keep it safe.

and your final argument "oh they will boast about how much their systems can do" why the f would they not boast? they just spent billions of dollars on it and made a damn good system, and possibly a replacement for some media center PCs. if your ideology is to settle for less than why don't you just go play solitaire on a p3 pc.
First off, I want you to know I rewrote this whole post before submitting.. it was a bit more... blunt.

Now, sure my blu-ray failing argument wasn't worth much, but honestly dude, it was an opinion, a freaking OPINION, you didn't need to burn me over it.
Why is it logical for one to think that sony's new format will fail? Their ACC and UMD formats failed, MISERABLY. it's LOGICAL.

Next, it's the way I look at it, again, it was my opinion.

MikeReiner said:
The way I look at it is, what if you had a blu-ray disc with a lot of your information on it that you backed up from your PC? that ONE disc... if you lost it or it got destroyed or w/e... thats a lot of stuff to lose.. whereas one cd or one dvd even, is no where near as much. *shrugs*
Notice something there? is it a crime to share my opinion with people?
I've got no problem with you telling me I'm wrong, that would be you disagreeing, and if you were mature and constructive about it, I would respect your opinion.

And your final point about my shitty opinion on boasting... I didn't say my ideology was to settle on 'less' but to settle I what I 'want', I don't give two shits for all that media crap in the system churning up the price, I want to play a god damn video game, and spending more money on features that I'll never use sounds pretty retarded, just like buying a copy of Windows.

(Remember, it's my opinion, you don't have to respond saying something like "What, so now sony and MS should put out like 4 or 5 different versions of their consoles to please people like you??")

I'm not impressed with your negative criticism. You could have disagreed with me, but you didn't need to be like this. If this is all your criticism abilities amount to, then your opinion and advice is pretty much useless.

I'm sick of talking to people who think they are always dealing with idiots and that they are the only smart people.. thats how you approached me, and granted you didn't know me, but I would never approach a stranger and act like you do.

Reply if you wish, but I won't respond to people who can't even carry on a constructive conversation.

Again, I was gonna be more blunt.. but you simply aren't worth getting banned over. You proved you aren't worth that much.

With all that aside, lets get back on topic.

The Wii:
I thought that thing had ports on it somewhere to plug in gamecube controllers.. when I was playing with my friend's Wii, I couldn't see them anywhere.. are they on the bottom or something? I heard it's backwards compatible with gamecube games..

And what about the compatibility with the PS3? The ps2 could play PS1 games, but I heard something somewhere that the PS3 is having trouble with that.

Back
Top Bottom